Climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

I'm quite new to cycling and so far really getting the bug and extending my long rides. One thing that is still flumoxing me though is the best technique on the hills.

I'm training for a 100 mile Sportive in August and I'm currently up to around 90 miles a week and I've just done my longest ride at 50 miles. I'm averaging about 16.5-17mph but on the hills I'm getting right down to 8-9mph. For the event my main goal is to finish to it don't see it as a problem in that respect but having ended up at a slightly higher average speed than expected I'm now getting ideas of target times and I'm worried that the big hills are going to severely dent my overall time.

Any tips, links to tips etc would be greatly appreciated. When I look it up I seem to get told to stay seated, stand, change gear, don't change gear etc etc so just wanted to see what you guys thought and also any rationale behind why you do it your way.

Cheers!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It has been done to death and always ends up with the same debate. Try using the search function top right.

GrasB

Veteran
Climbing... Basic advice: I'd not worry about the drop in speed too much & also don't worry too much about your technique. From doing very long alpine climbs my advice is do it any way that works.

More complicated advice: Most experience riders I ride with are mixing high & low cadence as well as in & out of the saddle riding on drawn out climbs. Inexperienced riders, that's riders not climbers, tend to shy away from standing as they'll increase their power as they stand up which drives them much more quickly to the point of burning out.

If you want to try & actively develop your ability to maintain a consistent effort level you'll find it worth doing some in-saddle/out-of-saddle drills. This is doing timed intervals in & out of the saddle while maintaining your speed, better it a power meter but I'm assuming you don't have one. These are best done on the flat to a mild consistent slope, say 1%. It will help you to judge equal power in & out of the saddle. That said a lot of people don't bother with/known about this & can ride perfectly well with out learning this discipline in a specific way.

paul04

Über Member
Just don't hit it at speed and burn yourself out half way up, you legs will end up like jelly before you get to the top(been there, done that, and got the tshirt)
Some very good advice there from GrasB
and like Rob said have a search for the subject.

goody

Veteran
Don't worry about average speeds too much.They don't take in to account things like wind, how you are feeling etc. Just ride the bike as much as you can and enjoy it!

Top Bottom