clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi going clipless on my musashi ,seen these on the internet shimano PD A530 with cleats these are dual purpose only clipless on one side! Anyone have any experience of these pedals? or what would you recomendm??

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Suspect there are as many answers as there are pedals (or at least half of them, assuming even pairs throughout) however will offer my £0.02.

There are two things I want from a recumbent clipless pedal:

1 - Certainty of engagement.
2 - Float.

1 is the thing that stops me kicking a leg skywards when I think its engaged but it isn't; that keeps me upright in those precious few strokes setting off; that matters more when I don't have the weight of my body pushing *down* on the pedal to keep contact, even if I'm of the plate.

2 is the thing that stops my knees from hurting.

A single sided pedal is compromised on 1, and I'm yet to find a pair of shimanos that offer enough float. Personally, I'm a fan of Time Atacs. Cheap, light, sturdy, solid, floaty, great.

A520, lighter (330g), but do you need the plain side of the A530?
HTH
I find I do need the plain side. On approaching a narrow junction with even a sleight incline some quick nifty footwork is sometimes required. A quick foot down at slow speed can prevent stalling and crashing to the ground like a felled tree.

Norm

I've got the 530s on my Tricross, which is used off-road and for commuting and I frequently use the flat side (approaching queues of traffic, riding busy tow paths etc).

I've got 520s on the road bike. I still unclip before hazards, it's not nearly as comfortable but I'm in that situation less frequently.

So, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you are going to be frequently stopping or you are new to clipless, then I'd recommend the 530s. However, if you'll never use the flat side, then it's easier having clips on both sides.

Top Bottom