clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Am after some clipless pedals for the mtb, i use look pedals on the road bike, don't know what is good for mtb, any suggestions, what do you use.
Cheers Del.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What's your budget? You''ll get a raft of people telling you how fantastic M520 Shimano are, but other pedals are available.

Here's my twopenn'orth

I started off with Crank Bros Eggbeater C's. They were on special offer at the time and I was told that they were easy to clip into, have great float and were very light. They look very good. I used them on all sorts of trails, and discovered they were great. Easy to clip into being four sided, and the natural float is superb. If you intend to ride smooth trails or lots of XC type stuff then I would have recommended them. I found their limits on rockier trails, as the design means that as they strike downwards onto rocks they open up and disengage. On some really hairy descents I lost a bit of confidence with them, and ended up getting some Shimano M545 which have a cage surround. These are much better in my opinion on rough trails, but are of course unnecessarily heavy for XC riding. They have a large alloy cage, and Shimano do other lighter versions.

I doubled the Crank Bros up on the commuter so I could wear the same shoes on either bike, and since taking them off the MTB I've gone onto PD A 520s, a single sided caged touring pedal on the commuter. I love the power transfer but miss the Eggbeater float......(or at least my right knee does!)

My son uses cheap old M505's or flatties, but then he's mad.

Zoiders

The Shimano M520's like the others said or the caged version which is identical but for the platform.

Time's are good as well

I wouldn't touch the Eggbeaters with a long pointy stick, they fall to bit's.

livpoksoc

Guru
I use spd-sl on the road bike, but on my MTB I have dual purpose SPD pedals (flat standard pedal one side, SPD the other). My train of thought being that I can clip in if I want, or ride on a flat side if I can't be bothered.

Keith Oates

Janner
I find the Shimano M520 pedals are good for most things and have just fitted them to my MTB. For the road bike the SPD-SL are my first choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
M647 for me, all the DX series pedals have solved the clogging problem ime.

4516.jpg

comparing the bindings with say, M424 shows why

7808.jpg

GilesM

Legendary Member
I have Shimano XTRs on both my mtbs, a bit pricey, but completely bullet proof and so easy to clip in and out of, I've had a set on my hardtail since 2006, not even greased the bearings in that time, still very smooth.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have Shimano XTRs on both my mtbs, a bit pricey, but completely bullet proof and so easy to clip in and out of, I've had a set on my hardtail since 2006, not even greased the bearings in that time, still very smooth.
Careful now, you haven't recommended 520s..............^_^

Top Bottom