Clipless Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
I use standard Shimano clipless pedals on all my bikes, upright and recumbent, and for commute purpose they're great because walking any distance isn't normally a requirement. Touring they're not because dual purpose shoes or sandals are alway a compromise and aren't good for walking.

The other problem is that different shoes have cleats at different wear levels so its impossible to get the pedals properly adjusted for all cycling shoes.

I have just ordered a set of diagonal restraps which I will fit to one of my bents as a trial. They apparently work similar to clipless in that you twist your foot in and out of the strap. When twisted in they hold your foot firmly in place, which normal toe clips won't do on a bent. That's the theory anyway, and from the write ups (there's one in the latest CTC mag) it seems like it works. Looks like a good solution which can be used with any shoes. Has anyone tried them at all?
Diagonal_red_5-486x486.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mrs SJ used them for years (Upright) and found them brilliant, as did I when I used to test ride her bike after adjusting something. They do exactly what they say, push and they tighten, relax and just slide your foot out.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is interesting and I would like to know the result after you have tried them. I never had trouble on my bents with SPDs. I wore Shimano MTB shoes and could walk in them fine. I still use the same type of shoes but not Shimano and I use them on all my bikes.

Top Bottom