Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's practice, practice, practice Karen. I know exactly what you mean, when you are on a climb, and there's a point where you feel you simply can't go any further. Off road I consider it to be the point where you have to swallow pride and get off, (or to try to find an excuse like "I've lost traction" or "I need to look at the view here...."). After a few rides you'll find that the action of clipping out comes far more naturally, and it's as much part of the "stopping and getting off" routine as any other motion. By practising you develop "muscle memory" whereby your heel automatically flicks out at the point of losing momentum. You'll also find your confidence grows over more difficult terrain, and you'll stay clipped into your pedals for longer, riding faster over the tricky bits, and don't need to hamper your own progress by clipping out or slowing down beforehand.

pinkkaz

Veteran
My name's Karen too and I'm a newbie to clipless pedals! Obviously what I should have done was wait til the weekend and then fit them and try them out in the park. But the pedals and shoes arrived yesterday in the post and looked so shiny when I got home last night I just had to fit them.

So spent the commute this morning with my right foot permanently clipped in (apart from one stop where my bike leaned to the opposite side I was expecting and I had to quickly release it but not before I had a full-scale wobble (but not quite a fall). The left foot I couldn't even clip in! (maybe my cleat is in the wrong place?)

Worst thing was that I was concentrating so much on my feet that I wasn't quite so aware as usual at other goings-on on the road which was a bit stupid.

Oh, and I was riding a new bike as well (actually a second-hand Dawes Galaxy which I picked up at the weekend which goes so nice and fast and smooth compared to my hybrid) and I had downtube shifters to contend with.

Still, things can only get better, right? Still, unlike the original Karen I don't have any hills to contend with since I'm in London...

firemansimon

Hi Karen

I've only been riding a short time but touch wood have stopped my falling over when I stop method of dismount.

The worst case I managed to do was fall from the pavement to the road. Lucky no-one saw me, but first time was in full view of a busy junction (I can still see the other cyclist with a massive grin on his face), now I just clip out early even when sometimes I didn't need to, little tip I always unclip from the same side.

Good luck
Simon:biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
firemansimon said:
Hi Karen

little tip I always unclip from the same side.

Sorry, but you need to get the "muscle memory" into both feet instinctively. Both falls I have had have been to the left 'cos I always unclip right first. The last fall cost me a nasty injury, so as soon as I am back in the saddle I will be making sure my left unclips as quickly and instinctively as my right.

Trent Tourist

Über Member
... or how about Powergrips ? - cheap, you can jump on the bike without special shoes - and they work a treat - you'll find them on Google.

Ranger

karen.488walker said:
Or I wondered if I should buy some multi directional release clips?

I use the multi directional release cleat as I am terminally unco-ordinated and haven't gone over yet.

The only problem I have with them is that when climbing a steep hill they can pop out when pulling up hard on the pedals if you do not keep your feet completely straight , but it is one of those things you do get used to

firemansimon said:
Hi Karen

I've only been riding a short time but touch wood have stopped my falling over when I stop method of dismount.

The worst case I managed to do was fall from the pavement to the road. Lucky no-one saw me, but first time was in full view of a busy junction (I can still see the other cyclist with a massive grin on his face), now I just clip out early even when sometimes I didn't need to, little tip I always unclip from the same side.

Good luck
The reason he was grinning was probably he'd been in exactly the same situation.

Cubist

Still wavin'
karen.488walker said:
Or I wondered if I should buy some multi directional release clips?

Crank Bros Eggbeaters release in different directions. You can have them clipping out with a 20 degree outwards or 15 degree inwards twist, or swap the cleats over to reverse that, ie 20 degrees inwards and 15 degrees outwards. They're not much dearer than Shmanos etc, but they are very light and look trick:
crank-brothers-egg-beater-c-pedals-06.jpg

Top Bottom