Close pass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

View: http://youtu.be/PQ8Ey86rIJg

Just now, I was cycling home from work down Brook Drive (near the Imperial War Museum) and I can hear a vehicle coming at speed behind me, as there are vehicles parked on both sides of this street, I have to ride in a primary position so as not to get 'doored' and I can't move over just yet as I've nowhere to go. Then the van LV62 ZRE driven by a representative from Elevators Ltd makes an extremely close pass to me at speed and continues to race down the road.

Unfortunately, the fisheye on the ContourRoam makes the pass not look AS close but it definitely felt like the guy was about a foot away from my right side...

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Yes it looks like a close pass. You can change the Roam's setting for the field of view. I have mine as 175 degree and 60fps at 720p.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I suggest writing to the company and mentioning it. In other words: escalate the issue! :tongue: (sorry, couldn't help that last bit)

buggi

Bird Saviour
i find a well aimed snot shot works well if you hear someone coming up behind you.

or a full waterbottle through their windscreen.

(i'm joking of course... :whistle:)

This is the trouble with some cameras. as well as the bollard footage i hoped that it would pick up how close the cars came when i was in a cycle lane. they were way too close, but the camera makes them look further away. i suppose with the camera on the back fork, you only see the wheels and it doesn't take into account the wing mirror -v- handlebars angle. tomorrow i riding in with the camera just sitting in the drop handle bars (my hands will be above on the hoods). i tested the angle the other day. you can see my leg on one side of the view but it does give a good view of the road and i'm hoping it will give a real perspective of how cars overtake. tomorrow i will be again putting my life at risk riding "non assertively" to show how drivers behave when there's "enough room" (in their tiny minds) to pass. i'll have to go in rush hour too to get as many shots as i can :sweat:

[i don't mind my leg in the shot... i look dead skinny! ha ha :cheers:]

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I suggest writing to the company and mentioning it. In other words: escalate the issue! :tongue: (sorry, couldn't help that last bit)

Did that last night and got a reply this morning... ^_^

They said they apologise and that they're taking 'disciplinary action against the employee'. I absolutely hate the idea of landing someone in it, especially with their boss, but driving round like that isn't on. It's also a popular cycle route and a residential street so it can be quite busy with mum's pushing prams over and young children darting around - I'd rather some idiot got a telling off (or even the sack) than somebody got badly hurt.

Why can't people just damn well behave though, life would be so much easier.

Rancid

While people have different ideas of what is a close pass or not, its all too clear the bloke was driving far too quickly.
at them speeds sooner or later someone is going to get properly hurt.

you were not at all wrong to report it.

D

Deleted member 20519

Yes it looks like a close pass. You can change the Roam's setting for the field of view. I have mine as 175 degree and 60fps at 720p.

60fps is meant for shooting action video, the only benefit would be if you were slowing clips down. Otherwise you're just draining the battery for no reason.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I spent 13 years going down that road - never much fun, even though it was a dedicated cycle route. I'd often see cycle trainers with kids on the road - I guess it was to toughen them up to the realities of inner city cycling (door zone, traffic failing to slow/stop, close passes etc)

You can avoid the worst stretch by going down Walcot Sq. and turning left - it brings you out on Brook Drive, opposite Austral St.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I spent 13 years going down that road - never much fun, even though it was a dedicated cycle route. I'd often see cycle trainers with kids on the road - I guess it was to toughen them up to the realities of inner city cycling (door zone, traffic failing to slow/stop, close passes etc)

You can avoid the worst stretch by going down Walcot Sq. and turning left - it brings you out on Brook Drive, opposite Austral St.

Thanks for that, I only go down this road when I don't go to the gym after work and go straight home. Otherwise I go down Kennington Lane. Maybe avoiding Brook Drive will be incentive to go to the gym more often ^_^

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
That's right,im no hero and tend to avoid the crap roads now,if possible.I hate getting home in a bad mood because some prat has almost wiped me out.

Top Bottom