Close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I was debating whether i should get the train or cycle home yesterday, so i thought its a nice sunny day a bit breezy but what the hell. First leg of my journey is a busy high st, i try and keep in a secondary position as i am going as fast as the cars, and their is also a taxi rank so not a wise idea to change to a primary from swinging doors. As i was approaching a pelican crossing the lights were changing to red, a WVM undercuts me missing me by inches. As he was waiting for green as well as i, he undercuts me again...I was slightly infront of him before he undercuts me AGAIN. :biggrin:

By this point my blood was boiling, because he missed my helmet by inches with his wing mirror and could of knocked me off...maybe i shouldn't have done this, but i hit his van with my hand to indicate he was way to close to me.

He stopped at the roundabout hurling abuse at me saying that he was in the right and i was in the wrong by going down the side of his van while waiting at the traffic lights. He then stopped outside a chippie (200yards of where i left the incident) just about to deliver stuff, when i decided to take the phone number off the back of the van. At this point he said i was wasting my time as he owns the company...not sure about this, but should i complain or just let it go?

Plax

Guru
Do you mean by undercutting - under taking you? Perhaps put a complaint in to the police. Afterall if undertaking a car is illegal then so should undertaking a cyclist - that's a far more dangerous think to do IMO

I don't think the police would do anything in a situation like this.

You could always let us know the name of the company and the phone number (it is on the side of his van, so public knowledge). That way anyone doing an internet search for his company would find this thread.

Much more effective :biggrin:

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
Got the name of the company which are called "fast foods" and tried to search for the address online, but no luck. I even typed in the phone number but came up with nothing either.

I was thinking of changing my route slightly (a quiet but longer route) just to avoid an incident like this happening again.

yenrod

cannondale boy said:
I was debating whether i should get the train or cycle home yesterday, so i thought its a nice sunny day a bit breezy but what the hell. First leg of my journey is a busy high st, i try and keep in a secondary position as i am going as fast as the cars, and their is also a taxi rank so not a wise idea to change to a primary from swinging doors. As i was approaching a pelican crossing the lights were changing to red, a WVM undercuts me missing me by inches. As he was waiting for green as well as i, he undercuts me again...I was slightly infront of him before he undercuts me AGAIN. ;)

By this point my blood was boiling, because he missed my helmet by inches with his wing mirror and could of knocked me off...maybe i shouldn't have done this, but i hit his van with my hand to indicate he was way to close to me.

He stopped at the roundabout hurling abuse at me saying that he was in the right and i was in the wrong by going down the side of his van while waiting at the traffic lights. He then stopped outside a chippie (200yards of where i left the incident) just about to deliver stuff, when i decided to take the phone number off the back of the van. At this point he said i was wasting my time as he owns the company...not sure about this, but should i complain or just let it go?

Last time I hit a car I ended up fighting with a taxi driver !

jmaccyd

mr_cellophane said:

Good Columbo stlye work. This is a really effective way of hitting people who endanger others on the road. I seem to remeber a web site from a way back that listed bad working drivers and enabled cyclists to take their trade somewhere else. Seemed to be an effective way of getting companies to take responsability for their employees driving

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
mr_cellophane said:

Well done that man, give him a cycle chat badge (if they had one).

I only took the local number which was 01383.

The van did have two numbers on the back, so i knew i should of took the other one down :biggrin: but the guy confronted me again saying don't bother as i own the company. I don't believe a word he was saying, but i think thats the reason why i only took the one number down.

The van was a bigger than a transit, not sure if the mirror was head height though, but one things for sure i know it just missed me by a couple of inches!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be one of the 'jumbo' ones lots of contractors are using - LWB transit, double rear wheels - heavy load carriers...

Believe you me, I have removed a whole large wing mirror with my shoulder....after a large transit cut me up (well turned left from a right hand lane) - he lost a wing mirror, I lost a £1,000 bike, and broke my hand (in a cast), he legged it !!!

Top Bottom