club advice - not cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
i am a member of a club for another sport i participate in. the club has its own clubhouse on leased land . it was built in the 80s by club members and all the building services were installed by the club members.
the electrics need a good looking at and it is a running joke that they have bee altered and added to a lot and are dodgy
the club rents out the building to other sports /social grouos karate , slimming world, and also rents out as a function room.
there are no current test certs for the building .
i beleive that as they rent the space out they are a commercial venture and not a private members club
I am concerned that the club is leaving itself open to litigation as they are not complying with electricity at work regulations. but i don't want to write to the club chairman if i am wrong.

any advice ?

I would imagine it will be part of the T&C's of their public liability insurance that they carry also, along with the fire cert. etc etc

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I would think that the building requires an Electrical installation inspection and certificate. (5 yearly) Also a fire risk assesment as well as a general health & safety risk assesment.
If you have gas you'll also need an anual gas safety cert.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
I would think that the building requires an Electrical installation inspection and certificate. (5 yearly) Also a fire risk assesment as well as a general health & safety risk assesment.
If you have gas you'll also need an anual gas safety cert.

I know what it needs electrically,as i am an electrician. Its where the club sat legally I needed to be sure on.
Email and hard copy will be on their way to the club tomorrow morning

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
If the club rents out its room(s) then it is a landlord and would require the above.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
any advice ?
Yes. Fix it up.

And, for your own sake, go and have a look at the Royal Yachting Association website. As I understand it a club is not a legal entity. To take as an example - The Fridays, which has a bank account, is, effectively me. If 'the club' does something wrong, then my ass is in a sling. The CTC offers organisers insurance, which is there to protect the organisers, not 'the club'. So....if you're on the committee and you're worried........resign. And write them a letter.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
not on the commitee thankfully. letter is now drafted, with wifey ready to read it for understadability rather than technical waffle.

Top Bottom