Co-op are wriggling cockwombles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
From my solicitor

"The insurers have reverted to me again in respect of the outstanding claim for losses and expenses. Their current stance is as follows :

(1) For the bike they are trying to place a value on it ( as distinct from the cost of a replacement comparable ). Do you think that any of the shops you know could assist in valuing it ? Are there likely to be any magazines that might have adverts or price guides for such a bike in the same way that there are various publications offering values for cars ?

The bike was made to measure, Dawes no longer offer that facility. I am not interested in doing any more leg work for the Co-Op. If they want to contact Thorn ( the last UK company that make comparable hand made made to measure touring bikes they are free to do so.

(2) tights, jersey and gloves are being offered at £34, ie slightly in excess of 75% of the replacement cost

Unacceptable. The time for dickering was two years ago.

(3) For the replacement glasses they have said they'll offer something when they know the model etc. They state that they are struggling to find Jaegar glasses at the suggested £450. Could your optician assist or is there a model name/identification upon them ?

Jaeger titanium frame , with variofocal lenses , with reactolite lenses. They can do their own research, on their own time, using their own money. I’m not bothered about the brand , just the quality /materials /spec. I’ll expect a value from them within 7 days

(4) £7.50 is being offered for the tie in the absence of any evidence on the stain , value etc

Accetable in the crcumstances

(5) On the MP3 they've said they'll offer something if you can provide a photo of it. They've also asked if you've made any enquiries in respect of whether it can be fixed.

They have been provided with a photo of it. I have made no enquiries, if they want to pay for my time @£60 and hour I will start on Monday.

(6) For the penknife, fountain pen and maglite they've asked whether you can produce any evidence they exist other than your own testimony. Are work colleagues or family likely to be able to assist ? Do you still retain the box for the fountain pen that we photo ?

The Pen was a gift from my (then Fiance) wife.

(7) Cycling glasses are offered at £18.75 but no offer for the summer lenses on the basis that they would not be redundant if you bought a replacement pair of glasses ( I wonder if the same model is still available for purchase or whether the summer lenses would fit a replacement pair ? Do you know ? )

I do know, they are no longer available, the lenses will not fit another type

(8) Briefcase £47 offered

Accepted

(9) Hat £7.50 is offered

Unnacetable

(10) For travel they'll offer £9.90 for collecting the bike, taking it to the shop etc, £9.00 for the commuting on 4th Dec, £1.80 for the mileage on the 5th

Unnaceaptable The rates are fine as far as HMRC are concerened, or do the Co-op think they are a special case.

. In respect of the commuting until the bike was replaced they've asked for confirmation as to whether you could have ridden an alternative bike ?

No alternative bike

(11) For miscellaneous expenses they have offered £10
Accepted.

(12) for the fee for changing the house contents insurance they have asked if there is any documentary evidence of the change or charge. If not they have asked for the name of the insurer so they can check their standard alteration fee

That was the price I was charged the last time. They are free to contact AXA.

(13) no offer for lost annual leave in collecting replacement bike on account of the fact that it's not an expense as such ( they are correct in that regard. The court's treat that as a loss of amenity claim not an item of expense, although we always try to claim it as such )

(14) On the envionmental charge he's willing to consider it if we can adduce evidenc of the charge. I would guess it might be on the council's website if you can confirm which local authority covers you.

"

This is a claim that has been running since 3rd Dec 2009. Oh yes and the stupid cow that twatted me off said " I will pay whatever it costs to repair your bike"

Jezston

Über Member
Good grief. Is it this bad for drivers who get hit too?

LilacM3L

Regular
When did insurance companies become the enemy??? They're ostensibly there to help us in times of need, aren't they?

ffs... You have my sympathy!

Service? What's service? I was interested in this from the POV of potential insurance choice. It seems that Co-op insurance are a "partner" of an outfit called Junction, which provides insurance "product" for a number of retail outlets, as well as More-than, the Post Office etc. Behind "Junction" is BGL group, AKA as Budget. They also own "Comparethemarket.com" You have my sympathy too.....

malkie

Back when I worked in claims recovery for an insurance broker the Co-op were infamous for this kind of thing . They seemed to operate on the basis that if they argued long enough some claimants would just give up and go away .

Sadly , in my experience some people did just that.

Plus it sounds like your solicitor needs to get stroppier with them . What`s he been doing exactly since Dec 2009 ?

That said it`s not unreasonable to ask for receipts or replacement estimates .... you are asking them for money after all .
Surely you can get an estimate for a nice made to measure titanium frame with associated bling groupset etc ? :whistle:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Ahem.. Co--Op insurance on BBCNews this morning. Telling drivers they wont insure a car if its from a particular post code. Appears they have a lot on a blacklist.

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

Back when I worked in claims recovery for an insurance broker the Co-op were infamous for this kind of thing . They seemed to operate on the basis that if they argued long enough some claimants would just give up and go away .

Sadly , in my experience some people did just that.

Plus it sounds like your solicitor needs to get stroppier with them . What`s he been doing exactly since Dec 2009 ?

That said it`s not unreasonable to ask for receipts or replacement estimates .... you are asking them for money after all .
Surely you can get an estimate for a nice made to measure titanium frame with associated bling groupset etc ? :whistle:

The problem has been compounded by there having been two solicitors ( I have an inkling the first one got sacked) and 5 (count them FIVE) claims handlers, the personal injury claim has been settled , paid and spent ( it was a great wedding) . The solicitor has already applied for a court date, but the bit that is pissing me off is the Co-op wanting me to do the footwork , it took me longer yesterday to print to a PDF and email the screen copy a checkout basket for £450 of Jaeger glasses than it woukld have for the Co-op's office boy to google it.

One small sticking point , I know, will be the age of the Galaxy, it was 20 years old.I'm claiming for the list price of a new one ( or at least the 2010 list price of a 2010 one) pointing out that mine was. Made to measure, hand made, made in England , whereas the 2010 one will/would be mass produced, not made to measure , made in the far east. I'm settling for a lower spec V the age.

The bit that's really pissing me off is the pointless hagggling. I claimed £14 for a silk tie, they offered £8 because I didn't produce the tie, ( my wife threw it out because it made her sick with worry seeing it) OK no problem £6 is neither here nor there, but it would have cost £50-£100 for the solicitor to read/write/read/write the various replies, how much will they have saved? From memory I think the total claim for "special damages" was about £2,500 , off the top of my head I reckon the Co-op is proabably looking at £3,000+ in costs so far.

Your mistake was to involve a solicitor unless there was personal injury claims involved. Make the claim yourself. After a while of silence or trying to get away with it negotiations by the insurance company, put in a Small Claims Court claim for the full amount. They will back out just before the Court hearing and pay the full amount (because it will cost them more to send a couple of solicitors to Court when they cannot claim costs if they win).

On the legwork they are requesting I would be inclined to ask to be paid at their legal rates for doing their work seeing as they seem to have admitted liability and its just the amount they are arguing about.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

Your mistake was to involve a solicitor unless there was personal injury claims involved. Make the claim yourself. After a while of silence or trying to get away with it negotiations by the insurance company, put in a Small Claims Court claim for the full amount. They will back out just before the Court hearing and pay the full amount (because it will cost them more to send a couple of solicitors to Court when they cannot claim costs if they win).

On the legwork they are requesting I would be inclined to ask to be paid at their legal rates for doing their work seeing as they seem to have admitted liability and its just the amount they are arguing about.
There was PI claim , long settled. I handed this to the CTC solicitors because I wasn't hugely bothered by the PI claim amount, just wanted the "stuff" replaced, it seems the stuff is more contenous than the PI!:wacko:

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

Good grief. Is it this bad for drivers who get hit too?
Not sure about being hit, but it's definately as bad if you have it stolen or something stolen from it.
I remember my car going off the drive the night before a rally and the insurance co offering 50% for my nomex suit, underwear, crash helmet, gloves and boots because they were "clothing" . Eventually I manage to get them to payout 100% as "sporting equipment" , but that was step by step negotiation. They really are scum, in 30 years of arguments with them I've only ever managed a draw, and even then on occasions it's because I've threatened to employ my own loss adjuster and claim the cost from them. I'm already out on this claim because I forgot to claim for my shimano boots ( stained with blood) , That's the galling bit , if there was a give and take, fine, but they won't pay for the boots because they weren't on the list, OK my mistake, but they know that there will always be things that you forget and rely on that , yet at the same time chip away at the bits you do remember. Oh well of the to the court steps ( where they will settle) we go, I just wish they wuld cut out the farting around before hand. Just really , really glad I have three bikes to ride and aren't desperate for the Galaxy to be replaced.

classic33

Leg End Member
At this point would you settle for the head of the driver on a paper plate?
Insurance may not reach as far as a silver platter!

In a similar situation & I quite simply told the soliciters being paid to act on my behalf to start doing just that. Not get me doing work that they were being paid to do. Shortly afterwards they stopped dealing with this type of case.
I'd taken my work/case elsewhere by then.

Keep a record of the work they've asked you to do & the time taken, then send them the bill for your time. At the least, work on the national minimum wage to get a costing.

Try

www.legalcomplaints.org.uk,
email enquiries@legalcomplaints.org.uk,

Phone 0845 608 6565

OP
OP
Little yellow Brompton

Little yellow Brompton

At this point would you settle for the head of the driver on a paper plate?
Insurance may not reach as far as a silver platter!

In a similar situation & I quite simply told the soliciters being paid to act on my behalf to start doing just that. Not get me doing work that they were being paid to do. Shortly afterwards they stopped dealing with this type of case.
I'd taken my work/case elsewhere by then.

Keep a record of the work they've asked you to do & the time taken, then send them the bill for your time. At the least, work on the national minimum wage to get a costing.
Rather than head on a plate I would rather see her crawling in the gutter with a broken hip!

The bit that really annoyed me about the collision( apart from her having three attempts in one month to kill me) was the fact that her car was still streaming water from the exhaust because she had only travelled 3/4 of a mile to take her porky grandspawn to the station , a car trip that saved 600Yrds of walking.

I have a long time ago stopped running around after insurance office boys, I warn them that as soon as I have provided proof to my satisfation then it's £60 an hour or part thereof. They want to know about something? "It's here, it's £500 a day , when do you want to come round and examine it?"

Top Bottom