Cold achy knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henshaw11

It goes something like this...

on an upright, I'm warm in roubaix bib longs together with similiar jersey, mebbe thermal top too - rarely with a windproof as such, but a thin non-waterproof gamex (?) l/s thing that takes the edge off. All well and good.

Rotate me around 90 degrees onto the bent, and I seem to get more windchill on my legs, *particularly* the knees (mebbe worse bloodflow too ?). The few occasions they've been that cold has always been on the bent, and I'm sure I've been in way colder weather on the mtb (the winter bike of choice) and been fine.

This w/e's FNRTTC was a particularly bad case (tho' also v cold I gather) - probably not helped by me never feeling that warm at any point - but the knees started off cold, were soon achy and cold, and even once I'd got to London, about midday, still bloomin' hurt just cycling back to Waterloo :sad: - kinda under the kneecap I'd guess (cold tendon/irritated tendon behind perhaps ?)

FWIW, the hands were fine, and the feet were tolerably cool in some porelles/sealskinz.

I guess the answer is somewhere amongst: breathable waterproofs/windproofs (mebbe not so good for long climbs); windstop-style bib longs (with the problem that the windproof panels that might not be so well positioned for a 'bent); kneewarmers (probably under the bib longs I guess).

Anyone else had the same sort of thing and reached a satisfactory solution ?

byegad

Legendary Member
For really cold weather I have some Paramo Cascada trousers. They are very baggy and I 'took in' some of the lower leg width to keep them off the chainring. Waterproof and with almost full leg zip openings I can control the heat by letting the zip down for a while. They, Paramo, do a high activity trouser with the same feature, not sure of the name off the top on my head but I went for the walking specific Cascada as I feel the cold.

OP
OP
H

henshaw11

Thanks for that - not sure if there's anywhere round here stocks Paramo, I was thinking about one of their smocks for the top half in the wet. Still, I occasional going walking in Wales, Betws-y-Coed has lots of outdoor shops...

I've since noticed that Evans have a sale of various Gore bibtights (bizarrely online only, and I'll have to try 'em/check 'em out in a shop anyway :huh:) - I must admit I'd like to avoid flappy layers if possible.

OP
OP
H

henshaw11

Not a bad idea, but I think they'd be a bit too bulky - I've actually got some (plus some more elastic fabric-like versions from Boots) that I tried wearing after some knee trouble years ago (after tearing a knee cartiliage) - ISTR they just bunched up too much to be comfortable but they were more supportive variety.

Talking to a roadie mate last night - he wears bib knickers either above or below his longs and reckon that works ok...

spiro

I think Paramo have a shop in Covent Garden if your in London plus Go Outdoors stock some of their gear. The trousers are about £100.

OP
OP
H

henshaw11

Thanks Spiro, I'm in London tomorrow night - if I have time I'll see if I can find it. Ah, open to 7pm, it's in Henrietta St, I'll probably miss it..

After a bit of browsing I think the Northwave 53/11 are possibilies (but ££), as is some of the Gore kit. I've swapped a few mails with very helpful fellow at Gore and it sounds like the Xenon and Oxygen have the most recumbent-friendly panel coverage, with the Oxygen SO tights having the most insulation of the two - and (yay !) they're on sale at Evans (on-line only tho').
Not cheap at ~80 quid (curiously cheaper than the Oxygens) but even the cheaper end of bib longs is the 45-50 quid mark...so I've ordered some :smile: Still gives me scope for kneewarmers underneath too..

Top Bottom