cold cold toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judder

I must suffer from bad circulation, as soon as it get a bit chilly, my toes feel it..
it was 6 degrees on Sunday and i had on,
Pair of slightly thicker socks, woolie boolie socks are to thick for my shoe
Endura slick overshoes
Pro Tarmac NPU+ overshoes.
And my toes were still uncomfortably cold, if you get cold toes what do you use..
are there any good thin thermal socks out there?

Thanks. My toes would be eternally gratefull

p.s the rest of my body was toasty an warm

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I know they are expensive but have you tried Assos ? I have two pairs of winter specific assos socks, thin enough for under your shoes but very good at keeping the cold out

gbb

Legendary Member
Similar sufferer here judder (very, but unfortunately apt)
Ive never found the answer, but funnily enough, we were in Pounland the other day and the wife asked if i wanted any thermal insoles for my cycling shoes...2 pairs for £1.
Christ, for that, i'll try anything. Did so Sunday, not overly cold outside, but i could feel the soles of my feet were warmer than the tops of my toes.
For £1 ? its not the answer, but worth a try.

I'm beginning to form a theory (gawld knows its not rocket science). Hand and toes, the extemeties. Perhaps we (i) should be wearing leg and arm warmers, something to stop or stem the heat loss through our legs and arms. I dont feel the cold on my arms or legs, but perhaps if i can stop the heatloss there, the extremeties will benefit.

evilclive

Winter boots in a size or so bigger than normal to allow thicker socks. Can't be bothered with overshoes any more, and these do work rather better. My Shimano ones are pretty good, my Northwave celsius or fahrenheit (can't remember which, I know they're not Kelvin though :-) )are warmer.
I've heard the idea of not exposing shins/arms too, and people have said it works, so got to be worth a try.

OP
OP
J

judder

Cheers for the replies,will go and look at the Assos socks don't mind splashing the cash if they keep my toes warm..Shame I can't get an Assos girl to do the job..;-)

Oddsos

Über Member
Woolie Boolies and wind proof overshoes have recently worked well for me. However the woolie boolies are a few years old and pretty thin so I think it may be the benefits of merino wool more than the thickness of the socks that is helping. How about trying the wooleator or a similar thin merino sock under overshoes?

I have also found that ensuring my body and limbs are well insulated helps keep my extremities going. I used to be happy wearing short sleeves through the winter, but suffered with cold hands. As I have added more layers I have found the cold hands problem has disappeared, though I have to spend more time faffing with zips to keep adequate ventilation when riding hard.

just a thought but are you wearing too much and blocking circulation?

i suffered from cold toes, bought a pair of waterproof overshoes to go ontop of my vented shimano shoes, now a reasonable pair of socks does the trick as long as the shoes are not too tight. i was out on sunday night at about 1-2 degrees for an hour or so, using a pair of the recent aldi ski socks and the feet were fine, warm almost.

good luck

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I used to suffer with cold feet in the winter and I found the worst thing I could do was to put more socks or thicker socks on. Wearing overshoes did it for me. The thick socks and more than one pair used to reduce the circulation and my feet were worse.
There are fur lined overshoes too for the tougher winters.

Davidc

Guru
I use the heat holders thermal socks and slightly larger than normal shoes. (Available from Amazon and elsewhere). Very effective.

I also have some electric insoles for when temperatures drop really low which run for many hours on a rechargeable 4500mAh D size battery.

Top Bottom