To ride or not to ride ?

• Yes - HTFU

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No - sense!

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Ride to the start and see

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Monday I came down with a heavy cold on Tuesday it went a wee bit to a dry cough and has been sporadic since. What do folk think should I HTFU and go out on the club Cafe run tomorrow, or is more sensible just to give it a miss or should I ride the short 2 miles to the start and will know better after 365ft, ie if I'm coughing more give it a miss and just wave folk off.

Garz

Squat Member
If it was the penultimate sportive you had been training weeks for I would have gone with HTFU. However I have found if you dont get good rest and pump yourself full of vit c and eat well the colds can linger for far longer than they need to. Better off resting a few days and get rid of it than keep riding but have a cold for a week or two longer.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i mtfu'ed after a week long cold and walked 3 miles to my lift (i finished early) i'm now back in bed feeling really sorry for myself, i've never had a double whammy before, and i don't like it.

my advice,

play it safe, i've read that athletes can take up to 3 months to get fully fit after a bad cold.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Yeah, I think common sense will rule unless there a miraculous healing over night. Normally it wouldn't be an issue and common sense would rule but I missed last weeks ride as I was at a funeral and wanted to get things out of my head, I find thats best on the bike with mates.

Tomba

H,

I got a flu/cold nearly three weeks ago. Went out for a 28 miler a few days later and then developed a heavy chesty cough and a worse flu.
Five days later I went out for a 32 miler and got the cough back and a few days later the flu hit again

This is the first time ever I have had a triple whammy.

Dont do it, rest, vitamins and plenty of good food.

I'm lucky I never had to take any time off work as a result. Its not worth it for me but had to learn the hard way.
Might be ok for you as you appear to be fitter than me (Etape, TT, etc)

Top Bottom