Cold thumbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cking

Hi All
The recent cold weather has thown up a funny little problem with me. My thumbs get cold!
The rest of me is clad in jeans and Aldi's finest winter gear and is fine. I wear Aldi winter gloves and the rest of my hands are fine. Its just my thumbs!
Is it poor circulation or poor gloves?
I have been in for three hous now and they are still a bit numb.

Funny that

Rgds Cking

spire

To the point
Cking said:
Hi All
The recent cold weather has thown up a funny little problem with me. My thumbs get cold!
The rest of me is clad in jeans and Aldi's finest winter gear and is fine. I wear Aldi winter gloves and the rest of my hands are fine. Its just my thumbs!
Is it poor circulation or poor gloves?
I have been in for three hous now and they are still a bit numb.

Funny that

Rgds Cking

What sort of bike are you riding?

Are your thumbs more exposed to the wind the wind than your fingers?

(If on a flat bar bike do you have your thumbs hanging down ready to change gear?)

OP
OP
C

Cking

A hard tail mountain type bike (Never seen a mountain, never will) with straight handle bars. My thumbs don't hang down they sort of curl around the bar. They are no more exposed than the rest of the hand. Thats why I was thinking poor ciculation. I am going to try some thin cotton gloves under the thick gloves next week.

Rgds Cking

Sounds like there might be a bit of pressure on the nerves, rather than cold weather. They shouldn't still be numb after three hours. Do you have some gel gloves you could wear underneath the winter gloves?

Blonde

My thumbs also get colder than my fingers. It's to do with the air flow around the hard on my road bars - and it's not so bad if I use the tops of the bars rather than the hoods or drops. For a quick fix try some disposable latex gloves between a liner glove and an outer glove. I wouldn't use cotton liner gloves unless you have nothing else though - they will absorb sweat and hold it next to your skin making you feel even colder. Synthetic would be a bit better but try silk or merino wool liner gloves if your budget will stretch to it - they are both much better than either cotton or synthetic liners. If your 'thick' gloves are not wind proof, getting some windproof ones will also make a massive difference.

OP
OP
C

Cking

Some good ideas hear, thanks. I rode in yesterday with thick sheepskin "old man" gloves and lost the feeling in all my fingers!
The point about being wind proof did make me look at the gloves again and I think that might be it. All the other fingers are made out of waterproof nylon stuff but the thumbs are made from material so I'm going to try some liners next time.

Rgds Cking

Top Bottom