Collapsing Wheel Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

Can anyone please advise me how I can tell when the braking surface on a wheel rim has become too worn/thin and in danger of collapsing?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
theres some info here

http://ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3827

i generally replace when the braking surface feels significantly concave some wheels even have wear indicators (a groove) built in.

hope this helps

02GF74

Über Member
or slivers of aluminiuim rim embedded in your calf! :smile:

I ride mine 'til the point of destrusction - once you ca nsee the tyre bulging the rim out, then it is time. most now have a wear indicator slot.

marooncat

Not really answering your question but back in the days when I knew nothing about bikes someone told me how I should blow my tires up much more than they were and proceeded to lend me a track pump to do this.. The rims then moved outwards so much due to be worn so thin the brakes stuck on. :smile:

That someone took a good look at my bike (which was a cheap one to get me into cycling) and suggested that it was time to "retire" the bike and get a new one cause all of the bits that needed replaced would be more than the bike was worth!! (the replacement bike met it end this morning on the M8, a story told elsewhere on here)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you measure the thickness (eg jewellery tool), then rims seem to fail at about 0.6 to 0.7mm.
Most recent (last 5 years or so) rims have a wear indicator - either a groove that disappears as the surrounding material is worn away, or an internal cavity that shows up as a hole or slot. What the indicator is depends on the brand of rim.
As rims wear thin, tyre pressure will start to fold the flange outwards, so the apparent dish in the braking surface becomes pronounced.
Don't ignore any knocking or pulsing from the brakes. It could be the bulge where the rim has started to split going between the blocks. If this happens, let half the air out the tyre and ride directly home, slowly, without using the brake on that wheel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had rims blow out twice on MTBs, you get a very loud bang as the tube herniates out and explodes then you find that a long sliver of rim has curled off, usually breaking away at the point where the braking surface has been scored by a stone trapped in the brake pad.

OP
OP

139NI

Thanks to all so far.

My rims are single wall and dont have a groove machined into it to show wear.

are there tell tale signs of imminent rim explosion that anyone could notice whist out on a ride or by examining the rim at home which can overcome the shortcoming of not having wear indicators?

brodie

139NI said:
Thanks to all so far.

My rims are single wall and dont have a groove machined into it to show wear.

are there tell tale signs of imminent rim explosion that anyone could notice whist out on a ride or by examining the rim at home which can overcome the shortcoming of not having wear indicators?

As already mentioned, measure the thickness of the sidewall and if it's near 0.7mm then keep an eye for signs of bulging.

I reckon wear indicators could be a potential weak spot, esp when the rim is worn down.

Top Bottom