Collisions involving motor vehicles and cyclists or pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Found this on the CTC site
That this House acknowledges that many other European countries have much better cyclist and pedestrian safety records than the UK; recognises that these countries apply the principle of stricter liability to vulnerable road victims, so that drivers of vehicles that hit cyclists or pedestrians are assumed liable unless they can prove their innocence; believes that this makes drivers more aware of the vulnerability of children, cyclists and pedestrians; notes that, in contrast in UK road traffic personal injury cases, the burden of proof is on the victim to prove the other party was negligent; is aware of research that shows the fatality rate of cyclists aged 10 to 14 involved in collisions with motor vehicles is five times worse in the UK than in the Netherlands and Sweden; and calls on the Government to bring road traffic personal injury legislation into line with workplace health and safety law, product liability law and car passenger protection by adoption of the principle of stricter liability.

Now I need to write a letter to my MP and find out whether they will support it or not.

And a link to it:
http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...s/edm-detail1/?session=2010-11&edmnumber=1393

rusky

CC Addict
I do hope they will support it, the current "system" is a complete farce, it's rare that drivers are held responsible even when it is clear they are.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The only thing I don't understand is do EDM's in general, have much power to change the course of law? Or is it just a case of saying we support this but it's unlikely to happen!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Lots of MPs won't sign EDMs as they are nothing more than a statement, essentially toothless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Their "power" comes from the odd one catching the media's attention.

Nowt wrong with asking your MP to sign one, just ask them to do other stuff as well, that can do whether or not they agree with you. Ask them to write to the relevant Minister and / or table a question in the Commons.

It's also worth doing some research on your MP. Does s/he have children, what All Party Groups is s/he a member of and, crucially, how has s/he voted in the past? They Work For You is a good place to start.

Dan B

Disengaged member
You got a response, which is more than my MP (Rushanara Ali) has apparently managed to come up with in the last two weeks.

Top Bottom