Colnago Cross Prestige

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Nice build, only marred by the horrendous tyres. And get a spirit level on your saddle.

Real shame if that frame never sees a race though.

What tyres would you suggest?

And I know exactly what saddle angle I need thanks.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

its great to be going along and spot a bridleway and head down it.

Great fast but still go almost anywhere bike, which makes for really fun days out exploring.

The very essence if its purpose!

VamP

Banned

Those tyres just look horrendous on a cross bike, I'm guessing they are fit for your purpose. Saddle should be horizontal, but if you're sure - it's your position ;)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No need to apologise - once you find a saddle that fits, you tend to stick with it, and I quite like the look anyway....

The CX70 brakes with Dura Ace 9000 levers are very powerful and smooth with a great action - they look good too. How would your TRP CX9s improve on them? Do they work well with with road STI levers?

I mentioned the initial severe judder of the front CX70 cantilever brake, which was cured by increasing the toe-in of the brake pads - it occurs to me that as the brake pads wear, the effective toe-in will decrease, presumably resulting in a gradual return to judder and necessitating further toe-in adjustments (which will no doubt be limited by the extent of the dome shape on the brake shoe washers). One other contributory factor in cantilever brake judder can be a large distance from the straddle wire to the outer cable stop, as seen with headset-spacer-located cable stops (cf. fork-crown-located). It seems quite possible that those linear-pull TRP brakes would do away with that whole aspect of judder cause - have you found them judder-free?

Yes they are 100% shudder free as mini-V's usually are.

They are very powerful brakes and modulate well.

Set up is very fast - pads do need to be run close to the rims which is only a disadvantage on very muddy terrain.

My only gripe is that they come with road cartridges as stock and despite several different pads inc' Swisstop/Koolstop etc they howled like crazy.

The solution was to fit longer V-brake pads - I used Ashima 4 Fuction and they are totally silent now - the nice thing is that they need no toe-in whatsoever hence a really speedy set-up process.

The CX9's are designed to be used with Shimano road levers - I am using 5700's. The CX9's and 5700's are stock on my TCX1.

CX8.4's are for SRAM.

They look funky too; I get a few comments (positive) on them from other cyclists. I wish I had the red ones as they look very cool!

For around £80 they are terrific brakes.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Thanks for that. I'll have to see whether the judder stays away; if it doesn't, then the CX9s will be worth considering.

Bodhbh

Guru

I wouldn't know what the tyres to suggest, however Hurricanes are fairly cheap all-rounders. I suppose on such a nice high-end bike you could probably throw some more money at the tyres and shave off a few hundred grams.

VamP

Banned

If you're thinking classy looking clinchers that will be fast on tarmac, but give dry off-road grip too, you could do a lot worse than these.

Top Bottom