Colorado law protects cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lech

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may13news2

Colorado protects cyclists' rights

Cyclists across the USA have experienced the wrath of impatient motorists. Being "buzzed" by drivers who purposely pass sometimes within inches of riders and having trash thrown at them make up many cyclists' post-ride tales. One state is taking action to help protect bicyclists from dangerous actions of drivers: Colorado. Governor Bill Ritter signed a bill protecting cyclists' rights to the road into law on Monday. The rule becomes effective August 5.

The new law requires drivers to give cyclists at least three feet of clearance when passing. Violators risk a $110 fine. Throwing an object at a rider could constitute a class 2 misdemeanor, which could net a more substantial $250-$1100 fine and a possible jail sentence of 3-12 months.

Republican Senator Greg Brophy and Democratic Representative Mike Merrifield, both cycling enthusiasts, supported the measure.

bobbyp

Thats a great idea, so much better than our "as much room as you would give a small car". Which by the looks of my ride in today is not very much room at alll.

tennwlkrlvr

What about the vehicles who are trying to keep you safe?

Hello:

I need your help. I am not a cyclist, rather a driver who respects your rights. However, I am one who has always given as much room as possible to share the road with you. The frustration I have, and am hoping you can give me some insight, is when you ride two or more wide and encrouch my space. Yesterday I was almost in an aweful accident that would have injured me and the other driver, and would have killed 4 bicyclists.

I was driving on a very popular biking road (hwy 36 between Boulder and Lyons, CO). As I rounded a blind curve I had two bicyclists on my right (riding side by side and not completely in the bike lane). In the curve there was another vehicle coming toward me who also had two bicyclists doing the same thing on their side of the road. We both moved to the left and nearly collided to protect the riders. Our mirrors literally only had less that an inch from touching. Had we both not reacted safely a collision would have occurred. This is not the first time I have had a close call! Several times a week there are large groups of bikes riding two and three wide who will jut out to overtake another bike and nearly get hit by a car.

So, my question to you is what is the standard that you operate under to protect yourself and others who share your road? Had there been a collision, who would have been at fault?

I understand there are drivers out there who put you in danger and do not respect your rights...but what about those of us who do and end up being put into harms way because of your fellow riders unsafe actions?

Thank you for you honest and respectful input!

gavintc

Guru
tennwlkrlvr said:
Hello:

I need your help. I am not a cyclist, rather a driver who respects your rights. However, I am one who has always given as much room as possible to share the road with you. The frustration I have, and am hoping you can give me some insight, is when you ride two or more wide and encrouch my space. Yesterday I was almost in an aweful accident that would have injured me and the other driver, and would have killed 4 bicyclists.

I was driving on a very popular biking road (hwy 36 between Boulder and Lyons, CO). As I rounded a blind curve I had two bicyclists on my right (riding side by side and not completely in the bike lane). In the curve there was another vehicle coming toward me who also had two bicyclists doing the same thing on their side of the road. We both moved to the left and nearly collided to protect the riders. Our mirrors literally only had less that an inch from touching. Had we both not reacted safely a collision would have occurred. This is not the first time I have had a close call! Several times a week there are large groups of bikes riding two and three wide who will jut out to overtake another bike and nearly get hit by a car.

So, my question to you is what is the standard that you operate under to protect yourself and others who share your road? Had there been a collision, who would have been at fault?

I understand there are drivers out there who put you in danger and do not respect your rights...but what about those of us who do and end up being put into harms way because of your fellow riders unsafe actions?

Thank you for you honest and respectful input!

You are taking the piss with this post aren't you. You should only overtake when it is safe. You should stay behind until it is clear. It is not written in the bible that you must overtake NOW. Calm down, engage the brain, and think.

jonesy

Guru
gavintc said:
You are taking the piss with this post aren't you. You should only overtake when it is safe. You should stay behind until it is clear. It is not written in the bible that you must overtake NOW. Calm down, engage the brain, and think.

It's the Prime Directive! We ignore it at our peril. :biggrin:

Top Bottom