Combination bike cable locks; are they all the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

videobruce

My question is, I have seen the videos of the 'hack' to break the number combination to open the lock itself. I wonder if someone has come up with a different design (assuming all of those combo locks are designed the same way) to beat that hack? I do realize the other issue is the cable itself, but that is another story.

Before I get blasted, I do realize after reading and looking around the Internet for the past three hours that this isn't the best choice, but tiring to use a U-Lock isn't either for me due to lack of bike racks where I would be biking to..

I have a 35 year old Raleigh USA 'cross-over' that I have had stored in my basement for the past 10-15 years that I have updated and gone thru. It's in decent shape other than some shifting issues and the need for a replacement bottom bracket. So an expensive lock would be overkill especially since 95% of it's use are out and back rides with no long time stops away from the bike.

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The weakness in cable locks is not the lock but the cable, too easy to cut.

Hello and :welcome: to CC Bruce.

OP
OP
V

videobruce

But, from what I saw, no tools are needed to hack the combination, just a few more seconds. :okay:
One would think, someone would come up with a modification to those tumble wheel mechanisms.

As to location, nowhere in particular. At least no long term parking (hours for example).

vickster

Legendary Member
Abus Bordo or hiplok a much better option than a cable if you need something longer than a d lock to attach to lampposts or whatever to leave for more than a minute or two.
That said an old bike is less vulnerable than a new one

FWIW I haven't locked my bike in 40 years of club cycling - we always go to quiet places in the country and I have never heard of any issues.
Now I have started cycling alone a bit more - I have a cheap cable lock that I can use if the bike is out of sight and I'm not 100% happy with the area.
If I ever bike into a city or built up area - you bet I'm using a proper lock. All you need is one that makes other bikes more nickable than your own. The nicer the bike - the more you want to spend on the bike.

Where I live most of the bikes I see parked up have a very thin cable lock of some type - or nothing at all

occasionally I see a cheap U-Lock but not much more

mind you there is never a loads of bikes in one place - probably at most 8-9 along the whole high street

Hence the chances of anyone being around looking for bikes to steal - and being properly equipped to do so - is rather slim

based on that I normally just use a combination cable lock if I am only going to be 2 minutes - and mostly in sight
and take the U-Lock if I might need to leave it for any length of time - if I do that it is the most secure bike on the whole street!

probably

but most of all - the bike is insured

but most of all - the bike is insured

Is your bike insured if you leave it unlocked in public? Could you check with your policy and let us know who you get it from? I'd seriously think about taking a similar policy out.

My take on it is this - combination locks are all pretty useless. You won't find dedicated thieves trying to unpick your combination lock, they'll have a cable cutter. It is effortless to cut such a lock with a cable cutter, have a look on YouTube.

Saying that, locks keep good people honest! If your bike's locked with a combination lock and there's no-one who went out looking to steal a bike that day, it's an effective deterrent. But if you're in an area with more people and hence more criminals, you might as well set fire to it.

Ask your local police station. They do occasionally give away decent bike locks.

Is your bike insured if you leave it unlocked in public? Could you check with your policy and let us know who you get it from? I'd seriously think about taking a similar policy out.

My take on it is this - combination locks are all pretty useless. You won't find dedicated thieves trying to unpick your combination lock, they'll have a cable cutter. It is effortless to cut such a lock with a cable cutter, have a look on YouTube.

Saying that, locks keep good people honest! If your bike's locked with a combination lock and there's no-one who went out looking to steal a bike that day, it's an effective deterrent. But if you're in an area with more people and hence more criminals, you might as well set fire to it.

Ask your local police station. They do occasionally give away decent bike locks.

No - the policy says that it must be locked with a "sold secure Gold" lock - which my u-lock is (and I have kept the packaging to be able to prove it
Also the house insurance covers it and that simply says it must be locked to something solid - no mention of what type of lock

WHich is why I always lock it - although anyone looking to half-inch a bike of the high street normally could choose from several that are just leaning against a wall!

vickster

Legendary Member
No - the policy says that it must be locked with a "sold secure Gold" lock - which my u-lock is (and I have kept the packaging to be able to prove it
Also the house insurance covers it and that simply says it must be locked to something solid - no mention of what type of lock

WHich is why I always lock it - although anyone looking to half-inch a bike of the high street normally could choose from several that are just leaning against a wall!

I expect the value of your e-bike is somewhat higher than that of the OP

I expect the value of your e-bike is somewhat higher than that of the OP

Probably - whcih is why the bike specific insurance insists on the gold locks
Actually I need to check that - I know it changed a while ago but as I already had the gold locks then I didn't commit it to memory

I am going to do a full check of the costs, terms adn condition of the insurance next time it is up - it was good at the time I took it out but I think there are better alternative around now

Top Bottom