Comedy gold at Chris Whitty assault trial.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair point, well made.

Although it makes no difference, the defence case is effectively reset.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the solicitor withdrew out of some high moral purpose.

'Professionally embarrassed' will mean the punter said something stupid in conference such as 'of course I did it, but you are going to get me off by telling the court a few porkies'.

The solicitor has done his job correctly by withdrawing, but to me that's a minimum standard, not something deserving of respect.
Thanks for the context. I gather there will be dead beat and vultures that will go the distance. I still like that he used the 2 words which I thought conveyed a strong message and reason.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the context. I gather there will be dead beat and vultures that will go the distance. I still like that he used the 2 words which I thought conveyed a strong message and reason.

The point is that he hasn't given the reason.

He can't, because then any other solicitor who heard him would be similarly 'embarrassed'.

He will have explained the position to the punter, and told him not to say the same thing to the next solicitor.

The professional etiquette of the Bar is that everyone is entitled to representation, no matter how reprehensible their conduct may be.

This is only boorish yobbery, so barely registers in a profession used to dealing with murderers and child rapists.

The solicitor may even be slightly disappointed to have been forced to quit, because there's no doubt the occasional high profile case is good for the practice and therefore earnings.

It doesn't matter whether they win or lose, several barristers have told me it's always worth getting the name 'out there', whatever the result.

Taking the Yorkshire Ripper's barrister - James Chadwin QC - as an example.

Chadders got his client 13 life sentences, so arguably didn't do such a tremendous job of representing him, but the case did nothing other than enhance his reputation as a top man.

I saw that when he pitched up at Durham Crown Court to do a drugs case about 30 years after the Ripper.

Most of the barristers at Durham that day filed into court just to watch a legend in action.

The point is that he hasn't given the reason.

He can't, because then any other solicitor who heard him would be similarly 'embarrassed'.

He will have explained the position to the punter, and told him not to say the same thing to the next solicitor.

The professional etiquette of the Bar is that everyone is entitled to representation, no matter how reprehensible their conduct may be.

This is only boorish yobbery, so barely registers in a profession used to dealing with murderers and child rapists.

The solicitor may even be slightly disappointed to have been forced to quit, because there's no doubt the occasional high profile case is good for the practice and therefore earnings.

It doesn't matter whether they win or lose, several barristers have told me it's always worth getting the name 'out there', whatever the result.

Taking the Yorkshire Ripper's barrister - James Chadwin QC - as an example.

Chadders got his client 13 life sentences, so arguably didn't do such a tremendous job of representing him, but the case did nothing other than enhance his reputation as a top man.

I saw that when he pitched up at Durham Crown Court to do a drugs case about 30 years after the Ripper.

Most of the barristers at Durham that day filed into court just to watch a legend in action.
Thanks for this.

Alway struggled with the enforcement and the application of the law. Wondered how the little people who can't afford legal fees enter and exit the system.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for this.

Alway struggled with the enforcement and the application of the law. Wondered how the little people who can't afford legal fees enter and exit the system.

In this case the yobbo will qualify for legal aid, although if he has any income he will have to make a contribution.

The contribution can be quite a high proportion of earnings, to the point where some defendants would be better off paying privately.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I just thought it was rather ironic that being an anti vaxxer he has now contracted COVID and therefore has to appear to the court from his bed.
If he'd had any sense he would have pleased guilty like his mate and got a suspended sentence. He's now put himself in a more difficult position.
Yep, he's digging himself a pit and the buffoon doesnt seem to realise it. :laugh:

Top Bottom