Comedy wheel building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having decided to ride Saturday's 200 (from Cardiff - Dr Foster's Summer Saunter) on fixed, I thought I'd better rebuild the wheel. The rim was dangerously concave and one side was stripped where I had lamped it up a hill only to come to a halt still pedalling.
So, Friday, the day before the event.
The new hub was in a box on the sideboard. New rim was in the utility, New sprockets were...somewhere.
I started spoking and discovered a strange gap. The rim was 36, but for some reason the hub was 32. Had a rummage in the garage and found an old unused 32 hole rim. worked out I could use the same spokes 2x instead of 3x. Got a tolerably tight and true wheel.
More rummaging and I found the sprockets, tightened them in the vice to save issues on the road on Saturday (this worked as the lockring was still tight at the end of the 200).
Next issue was a tyre. The rim was an MA40, known to be hard to fit tyres to. I had to find thin rim tape and trim it with scissors before, with difficulty, I could get a tyre on.
Finally, after yet another rummage, a new chain completed the renovation.
(My other half points out that I didn't mention the swearing that accompanied the process.)
The 200 involved lots of semi-surfaced bikepath and canal towpath. Rough enough to seriously test a wheel. My adhoc 2x 32 survived intact. Got to replace the headset, though.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Building your own gives you confidence - & pride. ;)

Top Bottom