Comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Trying to dial in the comfort on the defy - but still getting some lower back ache

what coud be the cause?

Seat to high? Handlebars to high? Fore/aft position?

defy-one

I turned the handlebars up by a few degrees.

Btw - how you finding the 4 - my son wants a racer now! :smile:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The bike is superb defy-one, very quick,agile and climbs well

just trying to dial in the little extras like comfort lol

Trying to dial in the comfort on the defy - but still getting some lower back ache

what coud be the cause?

Seat to high? Handlebars to high? Fore/aft position?

can you post a side-view pic of you on the bike? It will be practically impossible for anyone to diagnose issues with your riding position (or indeed suggest alterations) otherwise....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

can you post a side-view pic of you on the bike? It will be practically impossible for anyone to diagnose issues with your riding position (or indeed suggest alterations) otherwise....
Will try when i get home

OP
OP
J

jowwy

ok - after an uncomfortable ride home, lower back ache, knee ache, thigh ache etc etc

i sat down and did a lot of reading and measuring, getting on and off the bike and adjusting

inside leg 31" x 109% = 33.75" saddle height - my saddle was at 36.25" and my cleats were right at the front so i was cycling basically on tip toes, no wonder my back was aching.

i have since moved the cleats back to just in front of the ball of my foot (spd) and lowered the saddle to its correct height of 33.75" and just sitting on it feels more comfortable.

will take a test ride tomorrow night and see what it feels like.

screenman

Legendary Member
Tight hamstrings?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

ok - after an uncomfortable ride home, lower back ache, knee ache, thigh ache etc etc

i sat down and did a lot of reading and measuring, getting on and off the bike and adjusting

inside leg 31" x 109% = 33.75" saddle height - my saddle was at 36.25" and my cleats were right at the front so i was cycling basically on tip toes, no wonder my back was aching.

i have since moved the cleats back to just in front of the ball of my foot (spd) and lowered the saddle to its correct height of 33.75" and just sitting on it feels more comfortable.

will take a test ride tomorrow night and see what it feels like.
took my first ride into work today after making all the adjustment - found that the saddle needed to be just a bit higher than the 109% measurement suggested. Feet were certainly in a better position and knees didn't ache. i still have a dull ache around the lower back after fifteen miles, but i think thats more down to a weak back and need to do some strengthening exercises to get that sorted.

But it certainly feels a lot better than it did after riding home monday evening

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I found the 109 % way out , i have my seat 13 mm above that recommendation after trying the lemond method ( .889 x inside leg for height from BB ) and heel on pedal both giving me the same ersult .
I find this site helpful...
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefitchart.html

On another note i reckon my butt must have changed shape as the saddle i have used for a few years is for soem reason feeling uncomfortable, digging into my inner thighs on the edge and i might have to stick the charge spoon back on as a test.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Please all feel free to call me a NUMPTY - forgot to re-tilt my saddle back forward and thats whats been causing all my problems

nose tilted to high :cry:

Top Bottom