Commuter: Raleigh Pioneer vs Decathlon Riverside 120 vs Suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
I'd go for the Raleigh for many of the reasons given above.
I noticed that Decathlon charge you £20 more for the privilege of owning the blue/grey :huh:

Yeah I like the Raleigh. 2 things going for the decathlon though: 8 speed 1x8 which I prefer to the ugly triple crank which I'd not utilise. And I could buy my own (long reach) mudguards and a rack that had places to hook a bungee to. Oh, and the frame is steel, which apparently is better for fatigue life and comfort. Think I'm leaning towards decathlon. Only thing is the bar/stem is a cheap looking all in one affair but i could swap that i suppose... Oh, but the Raleigh has decent schwalbe tyres, again something the decathlon would need (imho tyres make one of the largest differences in cycling effort, far more than weight). Hmmm

All uphill

Still rolling along
https://streetbikes.org.uk/bikes-for-sale/

Buy a recycled bike and save the planet?

You will probably get a lighter bike with better components for the same money.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
https://streetbikes.org.uk/bikes-for-sale/

Buy a recycled bike and save the planet?

You will probably get a lighter bike with better components for the same money.

Nah, have had a look at the equivalent round here, the recycled ones are often just Apollo stuff and they're not cheap compared with ~180 for a new c2w bike vs maybe 80-150 for an old lowly brand. Besides, hybrids seem to go first so they're all mtn bikes and racers

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Nah, have had a look at the equivalent round here, the recycled ones are often just Apollo stuff and they're not cheap compared with ~180 for a new c2w bike vs maybe 80-150 for an old lowly brand. Besides, hybrids seem to go first so they're all mtn bikes and racers

You may have given them a look already, but Recyke y'Bike usually have a pretty good range of stuff in your budget.

Top Bottom