Commuting bike - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flloyd

Regular
Hi guys,
I do about 15 miles per day, mix of road and canal towpath for commuting

I'm looking for a new bike, I've got a second-hand hybrid at the moment and keep getting punctures and it's old. I think I've 'earned' a nicer bike.

I'm looking at either the Cannondale Topstone 2 or Topstone 3. The three is a bit cheaper at £900 - will it be durable? I'm 87kg and have a backpack with my clothes/laptop/lunch etc. I notice it covers up to 42mm tyres, avoiding punctures is a big one for me - happy to spend a bit on tyres to avoid

Topstone 2: https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/cannondale/topstone-2-2022-gravel-bike-916921#colcode=91692102
Topstone 3: https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/c...33txrMeh3TJ70mxoC4SkQAvD_BwE#colcode=91692208

Annoyingly the Rainbow trout colour of the two has gone now!

Any help would be appreciated

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Worth looking at second hand. I run 700x35 marathon touring tyres on every type of surface most days and never punctured one yet.

Jameshow

Veteran
Also is it securely locked at work?

Mates Dawes dalesman was nicked from secondary school where he worked!

rivers

How far can I go?
Personally I would go for the 2 over the 3. GRX groupset and hydraulic brakes, plus a clutched rear derailleur. A 10 speed 11-34 cassette is going to cost the earth. Both have loads of mounting points is needed (personally i use a 6 litre saddle bag and a small handlebar bag for commuting and leave the laptop at work). I have hutchinson touaregs on my gravel bike in 40mm- can handle any off road in the dry, will be fine on a canal tow path in the wet, and roll reasonably well on the road. Excellent puncture protection, and can be run tubeless.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Also is it securely locked at work?

Mates Dawes dalesman was nicked from secondary school where he worked!

indeed someone i know at work had his full carbon ribble nicked a couple of weeks ago and this was from inside a locked bike shed so an inside job we reckon
I have seen a decathlon gravel bike using 1x10 microshift which looks pretty good for the price as long as you dont mind external cabling from the shifter
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/gravel-bike-triban-rc-120-disc-brake-green/_/R-p-312397

mustang1

Guru
Also consider the cost of consumables. Some cassettes for 1x group sets are £100 or thereabouts

Yeah I know! I was looking at a cassette for my 1x MTB and it was £100 for a 12 speed Shimano M6100 (which is SLX I think). Wow I did not realise!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Puncture resistantance is all about the tyres so don't assume that a new bike will resolve this issue. Also keep in mind that commuter bikes generally get a raw deal (use in crap weather, damage during storage, theft risk) so I'd be wary of throwing a lot of money at something "too nice" for this task.

Personally I'd be leaning more towards replacing the tyres on the hybrid / replacing the bike with some second-hand steel, and possibly looking to suplement it with a nicer, leisure-only bike.

Last edited:
Not quite. I found a 38mm galvanised nail pointing horizontally through the side wall. Lord knows how it get there. The good news was that the tyre had softened up over a few months so changing the tube on the pavement didn't involve blood oozing out from beneath my thumbnails.

How the heck does that happen ?
Mine haven't let me down at all.

Unlike the two £60 Conti Tubs that let me down on a short ride ! Grrrrr. Never been back to tubs since.

Top Bottom