Commuting Distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
30 miles each way? That's pretty hectic, I'm suffering through a 21 miles each way commute at the moment, luckily I don't have to do it every day, or five days in a row. Taking the train both ways cuts it down to 10 miles each way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
30 miles each way, 5 days a week is a loooong way. It will also add quite a bit to your commute time - last year before moving jobs, I was doing the 60 mile round trip to work once a week - but it did mean I was out of the house from 6.30 am - 90 minutes to cycle in, then get showered, and not home till, 7.30pm...it's a long day...

Try it, but don't expect to do a full week - day on, day off - see how you feel. Go for the country route, it's far more pleasant.

I used to commute 40 mile round trips each day, and with racing at weekends, I'd usually only do 4 days, then have the friday off.

My commute now is a nice 8 miles, but I do it in all weathers. Lots of opportunity to extend it if needed.

Good luck, and don't kill yourself at first.

buggi

Bird Saviour
34 miles round trip for me usually about 3 times a week. i leave all my stuff at work in a locker, so only have to carry bear essential (p*ncture kit and money/keys/phone, which really helps.

arm warmers are a must! you can strip em off when you get hot.

Plax

Guru
Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress. maybe it would be an idea if you can't get a standard pannier to fit would be something like a Topeak beam rack;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003208&N=Topeak QR Beam RX Rear Rack

Bentmikey's Carradice longflap camper looks pretty good too.
Other alternative could be to take your work clothes and shoes etc in to work one day by train or car and the other days you can just stick your essentials (repair kit/keys/mobile etc) in a saddle bag / bum bag.

As for clothing - depending on the weather as well as the usual bibs/shorts/bikesters and your moisture wicking top I have a skull cap and overshoes. I get really cold ears so the skull cap is one of my favourite bits of gear! A decent wind & waterproof cycling jacket would be an investment too.

wafflycat

You'll need to build-in at least one day a week where you *don't* use the bike. Really. In building up fitness, rest is as important as exercise. You've been given good information as regards load carrying. As it's a road bike, it is unlikely to have rear rack fixings. Think about using THIS or THIS with an appropriate bag from the Topeak range (also on Wiggle).

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Thanks for all your messages. I'll let you know how I get on!
Adam

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Adam, got to agree with all the other comments. Start with 1 to 2 days a week and build from there. To me the issue would be more on time constraints than distance. An hour's commuting is enjoyable, any more is either because I have got time and the weather is nice or its blowing a hoolie and I am battling against the wind. The way you are travelling, west to east to work, on average you are more likely to have a head wind in the morning as we tend to get more westerly / south westerly winds over here in East Anglia.

Top Bottom