Commuting / Leisure Bike - recommendations wanted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike_maple

Hello all,

For the past 2 years I've had a friend's Saracen downhill racing bike, which I've had to give back recently. I'm now wanting to buy a new bike, but one that is much swifter than the heavy but stable beast I've been riding. Another friend has just bought a Townsend Orleans Mens city bike for £200, which feels good and is just the sort I want - 700c wheels, smooth tyres, lightweight, fast and easy to cycle, with room for panniers on the back. However, I checked out whether Townsend was a good make, and it seems to get slated everywhere.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to which bike to go for, I'd welcome them. I intend to commute (nearly 5 miles each way), but also use it for leisure purposes, such as cycle tracks, canal towpaths and such - no wish to go properly 'off road' though. I'm a fairweather cyclist, so unlikely to use it much in winter. Happy to pay around £200-350, although I'll need to get it through the cycle scheme.

Would you recommend the Hybrids or the City/Comfort cycles? I weigh about 16 stone if that's any use. Cheers!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

OP
OP
M

mike_maple

Thanks both, will have a look at them. Just been doing a bit of research, and I think I need one with a front suspension fork. Looking more towards the city bikes now, I think hy

I've seen a few good looking Raleigh bikes - Are Raleigh a good brand these days? The Elan looks good, although not sure about only 3 gears.
Pioneer 2 also.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you feel the need for forks, make sure they lock out or you'll find your energy sapped on roads. Suspension forks are really only needed for off roading, not paths or roads. At this budget level they'll also be heavy and of poor quality. I had a bike with them, similar riding to you, I never unlocked them. The bike weighed a ton, I sold it!

I think Raleigh got bought and everything is now made in the Far east - no UK operation nowadays.

I'd get a standard hybrid if I were you, with no sprung bits. Go to your LBS and see what you can get for the money. Evans is as good a place as any to start if you have one nearby, as they have a lot of choice from cheap to expensive, stock all the main brands and allow test rides

OP
OP
M

mike_maple

Thanks Vickster - that's a real help. I'll be heading to my LBS at lunchtime today, so will see what they've got. Good advice on the suspension forks - I had only thought they might be good for going up kerbs and the like - but no point wasting money on them if no need.

No Evans shops in the Leicester area it seems - but will make a note of the website.

Cheers!

calibanzwei

I've got a Dawes Discovery 201, you can pick them up for about £250 new. Great all rounder.

Got the 201EQ myself - great runner and can handle the camping gear/bit of rough stuff no problem. I bought the 2010 version earlier in the year, which was about £250 (2011 version was about £325)

I think Raleigh got bought and everything is now made in the Far east - no UK operation nowadays.

As are most mass produced frames these days... did I read that 90% are made in the Giant factory?

OP
OP
M

mike_maple

Why/where will you be going up and down kerbs? Adults don't need to ride on the pavement :laugh:

Well they do if they have to accompany a drunk MS sufferer friend on a mobility scooter on the way back from the pub in the dark, as happened on sunday ;-) Plus my route to work goes through a park and on shared pedestrian/cycle paths!

Went to my LBS today, and was recommended a range of Ridgeback hybrid bikes, of which I'll either go for 'Speed' or 'Meteor' I think. Unless anyone has a reason I shouldn't?

Thanks all for your contributions!

MickeyL

I had a similar dilemma a couple of months ago. Went in the end for this Viking Urban Platinum and the spec and pics can be see here.

[url="http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2808-viking-urban-platinum-27sp-gents-hybrid-bike.aspxI"]http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2808-viking-urban-platinum-27sp-gents-hybrid-bike.aspxhttp://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2808-viking-urban-platinum-27sp-gents-hybrid-bike.aspxI

[/url]I bought it at their sister company in Bolton for £50 less than the advertised website price. Attraction was – in budget (well almost!), one up the hierarchy of Shimano gears from the typical Acera set, quite light and as is often the case, it just felt right. Having been riding it for the last two months, I’m still very pleased with my choice. It didn’t meet my wish list of lock out on the forks but they are at least adjustable. If there was an option, I would also have preferred not to have had the bar ends fitted. They have plenty of other hybrids in the Viking range.

Top Bottom