Commuting - saving even more money!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSpence

Oh. Hello.
My car insurance provider last week sent me a renewal quote last week for the year ahead. I gave them a call to proceed with the renewal, however I noticed that my annual mileage was still set high from when I used to use the car every day (10000miles).

Considering my car has now been relegated to the driveway, only making appearances for family trips at the weekend, I asked the insurer to reduce my annual mileage to 4000 annually. I am glad I did; the premium was reduced by £100!

This is yet another wonderful perk of being a commuting cyclist.

Now it's your turn; go check your stated mileage on your motor insurance and make sure you have updated it!

paul04

Über Member
Mine is set at 4000 miles a year just like you did, :smile:

lee1980sim

Used to work in car insurance and lowering the milage doesn't always lower the price, insurance companies see can see low mileage as you not gaining enough road experience so can be a risk its the same as having high milage makes you a risk because you're on the road a lot and at more risk its all a joke really

StuartG

slower but further
I had reduced my mileage to 5000 on the same basis. But I'm not even doing that hence at the last renewal I asked what the reduction would be if I reduced it to 4000. Click, click on the quotation screen and the quote was higher. Apparently this insurance company is worried if you don't drive enough you might be a worse driver. Go figure!

Top Bottom