Commuting wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mumbo jumbo

I'm a one bike cyclist. Currently that's a Kinesis Racelight T2, described by those more in the know than me as a "winter training bike". I've done 995 miles on it since buying it in Nov 11. That's mainly day in day out all year round urban commuting. I have a rack and panniers quite often with a load of weight in: tools, locks, clothes, laptop, sometimes shoes, work papers etc. Periodically, about once every 3-4 weeks I try to get out for a longer ride (by my standards) which maybe 30-50 miles (without panniers obviously).

The bike came with Mavic CXP22 rims. At 730 miles I had a spoke go on my rear wheel. Evans sorted it on a same day basis so I was able to ride home on it. This morning (265 miles later) I had another spoke go - again on the rear wheel. Took it to Evans but they can't do anything til next week. This was their advice:

- once a spoke has pinged, a wheel is increasingly susceptible to spoke failure. Sounds entirely plausible to me but is it right?
- the Mavic CXP22 is an entry level rim and I should upgrade to the Mavic A719. Including new hubs and build costs this would be £213
- the A719 is an ideal rim for my riding purposes. Apparently it is stronger and lighter than the CXP22s. I should not find myself going any slower (current avg speed for CY2012 is 15.73mph). Is that right? Is there another rim I should be considering?

The thing is, I've commuted for 15 years on 3 bikes and maybe 7-8 sets of wheels (including a bargain set of Bontrager race wheels!) and never had a spoke break before. Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky. If my current rims aren't up to the job, i want to sort it out now but I'd like to make good choices so any advice you can give would be most welcome.

mj

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The wheels were most likely machine built initially. If you are handy, source the spokes yourself - call in at Evans, get them to measure it, and replace it yourself - it's an easy job. Then re-tension all the other spokes. Most likely a little loose, hense the breakage.

CXP22's are OK. Better rims are Open Pro and CXP33's - both these are bomb proof. The A719 is more a touring rim.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep I use Open Pros and have done for 4 or 5 years. I don't think it cost me over £200 to have them built either. I've got a 32 spoke wheel on the front and a 36 on the back with Shimano hubs. I've never had any difficulty with losing speed on them

Top Bottom