Compact Triple to Triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have a Truativ Touro 50-39-30 compact triple on my SCR2.0 at the moment, with Tiagra shifters and front mech.

I like it fine, although I still hanker somewhat for the 52/42 setup that I had on my first road bike, that I liked the feel of a lot more, compared to the compact setup. Looking around, a lot of "standard" triples seem to use a 52 - 42 - 30 setup.

I'm toying with the idea of grabbing the required chainrings (9spd Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra 52T and 42T seem readily available), and giving the setup a try. Is it going to work? Any pitfalls in particular to watch out for?

RedBike

I've never seen a compact triple before. I assume the BCD is the same (basically the bolt holes are in the right place) for the new rings?

It's also worth checking your chain length. It will probably be too short in which case you will need a new chain. (If your cassette is worn this will have to be changed at the same time.)

You will need a long cage rear mech (assuming you haven't already got one)

You will need to raise your front mech and fit a new longer cable.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the rear mech should be fine, as you are already on a triple. i'd recommend getting a new chain, as you're going up a chainring size.

that said, the idea of a compact triple seems an odd one to me :smile:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks - I'd not thought of chain length, but that makes sense - I'm planning the change for when the cassette gets upgraded/replaced in any case, so it should fit in nicely with that.

I agree on the idea of the compact triple, incidentally - it's odd, isn't it? I fancy going to a more standard setup to give the middle ring more use (I'm almost always on the 50T once I've moved off) and shouldn't lose any hill climbing ability because the inner ring on a standard is 30T anyway, so far as I can tell.

Reading Shimano's technical docs for the Tiagra group, 50/39/30 seems to be the standard setup for that as well...

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
andy_wrx said:
It's a Truvativ 'Touro' ? Perhaps a 'touring' triple then, where you'd want lowere gears for loaded touring rather than racer gears...but then wouldn't it would have a smaller little ring, like a 28 ?
Possible, I guess - although the Tiagra triple is the same sizes.
I'm happy with 52-42-30
That's what I'd like to run, I think - basically the large and middle from my old bike, with a hill climbing bailout on the little ring.

yello

I'd make sure the front mech can handle a 52T outer as there's a limit to the range that front mechs can span. You'd be going from a 20T range to 22, likewise the inner to middle step is going from a 9T span to 12T.

I would guess you'd be okay be it's worth checking.

Top Bottom