Compatibility of Indexing Systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm updating an old Peugeot road bike - this one:

pug.jpg
It has down-tube shifters, which are fine by me as I grew up with them and therefore still consider integrated shifters to be a bit poncey, and although I don't want a 'period' restoration they wouldn't be entirely in-keeping. It has a fork-leg light mount for goodness sake :smile: (I also have all the original bits and if so inclined could spend hours polishing up the original levers and callipers, but the levers would still be really uncomfortable - I'm not doing l'Eroica on it, I want to actually use it - I do also have the original bars, cranks etc - although I may go for a triple on it)

I want to put indexed down-tube shifters on it because I want to go to more than ten-speed (it's hilly around here) The wheels in the picture have a seven speed cassette.

My question is, is it safe to assume any down-tube indexed shifter will have the same cable-pull? The cassette is a Shimano one, but I've seen some Sunrace indexed levers on eBay that have the dual appeal of looking visually similar to the Simplex ones on it, and of being cheap - but will they work with Shimano spacing?

Thanks.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It is not safe to assume any down tube indexed shifter will have the same cable pull (or different rear derailleurs will move the same amount). However, I think you're going the same route I did -I have a 1970's Raleigh Supercourse, and I love index shifting. I put a 7-speed Shimano rear freewheel on it and bought some Sun Race 7 speed indexed downtube shifters and they work a treat for very short money. Usually on the selling info they say if they are Shimano compatible and those look very similar to mine.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thank you. I had a similar Peugeot when I was a kid, and five speed and friction shift was fine. It was replaced by a new-fangled 12-speed bike and with 6 cogs on the back, SIS was much better than friction (that bike had down-tube shifters you could switch mode with) I guess as the cogs get closer, the lever movement becomes more critical.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
FWIW, I haven't regretted one instant doing this to the Super Course (though I know it's heresy to real Raleigh antique bike afficionados) but I wanted a bike I could use for commuting and enjoy cycling on it as well. The 7 speeds with a triple crank seem to be more than adequate for my commute, and so much more usable and nicer to ride than the friction shifting 5 speed freewheel it came with. An added bonus is that the older 7 speed stuff can be really cheap to get -without sacrificing quality. I also added Kelly TakeOffs so I could change gear with my hands on the handlebars in a normal position. TBH, this is one of my very favourite bikes now.

FYI, I know I've posted a photo of it before: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i...1985-raleigh-record-sprint.89075/post-1639492

So long as you don't want a period perfect restoration, you won't regret it!

Thank you. I had a similar Peugeot when I was a kid, and five speed and friction shift was fine. It was replaced by a new-fangled 12-speed bike and with 6 cogs on the back, SIS was much better than friction (that bike had down-tube shifters you could switch mode with) I guess as the cogs get closer, the lever movement becomes more critical.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its a job to know between systems, I re built an old ladies bike with 5 speed friction shifters and fitted gripshifts and a cheap Shimano SIS derailleur...it works fine, which TBH surprised me because the freewheel is a REAL old one, even the spacing doesnt look even between cogs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indexing in general is a bit poncey!

This bike is the result of a similar restoration. Not period, but fun to ride and a much lower bottom gear than the original. It has an 8 speed cassette on a new rear wheel. I still use the original friction shifters. 8 speed is no problem for friction shifting.

Edit.Rest of post deleted cos I didn't read the OP properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom