Complete Newbie after advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wicked thanks for that

Only one ive seen that can be locked within my budget would be the Trek DS 2

Other option also is buying 2nd hand

I run almost exclusively used bikes, but the difference is all mine are rigids and have less wearing parts in them. I would be extremely wary of buying anything secondhand with suspension. The suspension parts can and do fail, and often repairing or replacing those bits can cost more than the bike is worth. Therefore, from an economic point of view, the most sensible solution for an owner faced with repair bills is to punt the bike out on the secondhand market and let someone else worry about it. If you buy such a bike, you become that someone!
Anyone who salvages discarded bikes out of skips will tell you that by far the most common type to be found dumped currently are low end mountain bikes with either front suspension or full suspension. because they fail and become a maintenance moneypit. Secondhand bikes are often outstanding value, but make sure you aren't buying someone else's unwanted repair bill.

rivers

How far can I go?
At that price point I would be looking at rigid forks, not suspension. They will be heavy, cheap, and not very effective

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

I think its just a personal preference to wanting front suspension, Ive got a bike currently which I've not used in many years (and imagine ive outgrown now) that has no suspension, and I didnt enjoy riding it, was too stiff and tension on the wrist when hitting some bumps etc

SnoopyCycles

Regular
Have you thought about the trek FX? It’s similar to DS but without the front suspension. I was thinking of it but they didn’t have my size. It was recommended to me on this forum. I have a lovely Pinnacle Chromium from Evans. I love it. Choose a 2019 model if going for Evans and save money instead of 2020. The C2w scheme is great so I would do that for definite.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ive got a bike currently which I've not used in many years (and imagine ive outgrown now) that has no suspension, and I didnt enjoy riding it, was too stiff and tension on the wrist when hitting some bumps etc

Vibration and shocks from the surface is an unavoidable feature of cycling. The way you minimise it is firstly a sensible choice of tyre width & pressure in relation to rider weight, and not sitting on the bike like a sack of spuds whilst tightly gripping the bars. Light contact and getting your backside off the saddle when going over bumps allows the bike to find the path of least resistance and means less punishment for the rider.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think its just a personal preference to wanting front suspension, Ive got a bike currently which I've not used in many years (and imagine ive outgrown now) that has no suspension, and I didnt enjoy riding it, was too stiff and tension on the wrist when hitting some bumps etc
I always replace round flatbar grips with ergo grip, whether the palm is supported, far more comfortable

If you like suspension, go for it, but be aware that it'll be a compromise on roads, especially on a more budget bike. If you're just going to ride mostly on roads with it locked out, it's pointless having it. If you must though, Get a discounted 2019 model, you'll get better components at the same cost

Top Bottom