Complete newbie on a 2 wheel recumbent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've just got the Strada back on the road (new gear cable came Friday, and I've upgraded the shifters to X9s while I was at it.) My Brother was down for the weekend and he desperately wanted a go, which of course I was o.k. with.....erm.:unsure:

If nothing else it shows just how quick a new rider can 'master' riding a high-racer, arguably the hardest form of 2 wheel recumbent to ride? He definitely preferred the Ice trike though.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBlgcUCzVg

Chonker

Veteran
Great choice in music! Seemed to take to that pretty well.

What makes high racers the most difficult would you say?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Thanks for sharing. My experience is that (once you're moving) high racers are at the easier end of the 'bent spectrum, as you get more time to detect and correct a wobble before you're down. Certainly the dual 26er I've been known to pootle around on pretty much handles itself without input, whilst the lower slung Furai (smaller wheels, which you sit between, rather than above) requires a much more sensitive hand and constant vigilance to keep rubber side down.

Of course, when it comes to the initial push off, the high boomed 26er does require a touch more commitment, so I can see where you're coming from.

Andy.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
really enjoyed the vidio , give him a go on the trike next time !

He was on the trike when we ventured onto the roads, that was me riding the Strada on the dual carriageway......he wasn't ready!
Great choice in music! Seemed to take to that pretty well.

What makes high racers the most difficult would you say?

Definitely the setting off. It's nigh on impossible on a steep uphill. I suspect (never ridden one though) that a low racer would be easier as you can push off whilst using your hands for balance? The advantage is that on the high racer your view is considerably better as you're almost as high as on a 'regular' bike.

Thanks for sharing. My experience is that (once you're moving) high racers are at the easier end of the 'bent spectrum, as you get more time to detect and correct a wobble before you're down. Certainly the dual 26er I've been known to pootle around on pretty much handles itself without input, whilst the lower slung Furai (smaller wheels, which you sit between, rather than above) requires a much more sensitive hand and constant vigilance to keep rubber side down.

Of course, when it comes to the initial push off, the high boomed 26er does require a touch more commitment, so I can see where you're coming from.

Andy.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge as like I said I've not ridden one. I did consider the Furai myself, or the Fujin. I never even considered the Strada, but it was the only mint 2nd hand 'bent I could find, so I took a gamble and bought it for a grand. I can say that having come off it on a 25mph bend it does hurt a bit, though I'd have been far worse off if I'd been on the road bike. I'd imagine that the low racers are even better to fall of (if you have to fall off a bike.)

I suspect that, budget (and Missus) permitting, a low racer 2 wheel 'bent will be an addition one day........and the Trice will be exchanged for a lightweight racing trike......hmmmm Ice Vortex.:hungry:

One thing that's become apparent is that I get far more negative reactions when I'm on the Strada, including laughs, sneers, and even derogatory comments. In comparison, I get a fair few comments like 'nice machine' 'cool bike' 'mint' etc and more 'thumbs up' gestures when I'm on the trike. Does anyone else find this?

Gary E

Veteran
Did you decide to let him learn to ride it on a path next to a river for any particular reason? :laugh:

Just think of the possible comedy value not to mention the money from You've been framed!

jayjay

Veteran
I had my first two wheel ride yesterday, just a couple of seconds on the Adventure as I turned off the main road :biggrin:
I've been testing the limit of balance on almost every corner since I got it, this time it was enough to bicycle a bit, and was surprisingly unfussed. Stable, no unusual steering load or wobbles, merely carried on cornering and settled back down.
I think I'll tone it down a bit now I know where the edge comes, I don't want a local reputation even if it has some entertainment value, plus the extra stress on the mechanicals.

Oh, and some time in the future, perhaps a real two wheel 'bent?

Top Bottom