Computer Games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

Yesterday, my 8 year old tried to download a 'free' game called 'Star Wars, The Old Republic'. The download size was over 20 gb :eek: (fortunately, we have an unlimited download account) and it was taking so long, that we stopped it.

We then did some google research into the game and found that although the game is 'free', to have any 'usability', you 'have' to enter card details and cough up the cash. There seems to be a trend nowadays, towards a requirement to download games, whether they are for a PC or an XBox.

I don't mind downloading updates or ability to play online, but can anyone recommend any good games (of any genre) that I can buy on a DVD and then carry out a simple install ? I don't mind paying a fair bit for a game, but I don't want to be shelling out more money on 'subscriptions'.

I just want to buy games with a one-off fee involved.

Tribanite

I wouldn't download any games off the internet. They are generally buggy and contain trojans and viruses.
Buy him a dedicated games console .... PS2's are being sold for £30 ON EBAY

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I wouldn't download any games off the internet. They are generally buggy and contain trojans and viruses.

Thank's for the response :thumbsup:

We are looking at PC games, 'cos that's what he likes to play on; we did have a PS2, but he much prefers a computer, 'cos he can easily go on the internet and get the cheats :smile: .

I already pay for him to go on Club Penguin & Roblox, but frankly, I think that many games are a 'rip-off'. I've found that I can buy a Star Wars games for the PC, but after this, I'd then be expected to pay fee(s) for updates and the ability to play online.

Ideally, what I'd like, is to be able to pay a one-off fee for a game and that is it. Do all the games which have the facility to play online, require monthly/6 monthly or yearly (repeat) fees ?

Steam http://store.steampowered.com/

Ignore the virus warning about downloading as this is a legitimate service that was started by Valve (makers of the Half Life/Portal) series. Its now regarded as one the premier services for PC gaming has games in all genres from £0 upwards.

For the game you mention, Star Wars:The Old Republic, the charges you mention are because its a a MMORPG game (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) - you play in a perpetually existing gameworld on servers, so there is a monthly fee involed.

Try and steer him towards an offline RPG - the original Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic is only £7, or newer (non star wars) space RPGs like Mass Effect. They wont ask for a monthly fee, but may ask that you register your game online when you first start.

Happy gaming!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
You can get cheats for practically any game on any platform (pc,360,PS3 etc) My son has an X-box and the games are pricey but fair doo's its the £39.99 a year for him to play online that i find hard to stomach. I hear the PS3 online service is free to use and as they are competitors i do find that strange :wacko:. Thats wort remembering if you go down the console route at any time.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Steam http://store.steampowered.com/

Ignore the virus warning about downloading as this is a legitimate service that was started by Valve (makers of the Half Life/Portal) series. Its now regarded as one the premier services for PC gaming has games in all genres from £0 upwards.

For the game you mention, Star Wars:The Old Republic, the charges you mention are because its a a MMORPG game (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) - you play in a perpetually existing gameworld on servers, so there is a monthly fee involed.

Try and steer him towards an offline RPG - the original Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic is only £7, or newer (non star wars) space RPGs like Mass Effect. They wont ask for a monthly fee, but may ask that you register your game online when you first start.

Happy gaming!

Great reply WD and very helpful ! :thumbsup:

We'll certainly try a few of these, this weekend. Are there any other games that you could recommend ? I intend to visit the local computer shop tomorrow and as a treat, buy him a game or two. Fortunately, he is very active (he does four sports), so I don't mind him spending some time playing computer games.

Computer games have really moved on; 7 or 8 years ago, our eldest was keen on games such as Broken Sword, but I guess these are a bit outdated now.

jugglingphil

My kids enjoyed the Lego Starwars games when they were your sons age (and older). As these games are a couple of years old I imagine you can pick them up cheaply. No on-line part of game or hidden costs.

redcard

Veteran

Absolute rubbish

Great reply WD and very helpful ! :thumbsup:

We'll certainly try a few of these, this weekend. Are there any other games that you could recommend ? I intend to visit the local computer shop tomorrow and as a treat, buy him a game or two. Fortunately, he is very active (he does four sports), so I don't mind him spending some time playing computer games.

Computer games have really moved on; 7 or 8 years ago, our eldest was keen on games such as Broken Sword, but I guess these are a bit outdated now.

Many I could recommend lol How old is he? Some of what I'd recommend will have adult themes, swearing or violence, I'm afraid I'm not 100% clued up on kids/teen games but TBH if you read a little about these first, then decide if you want to get them for him.

Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands 1 or 2, Crysis 1 or 2, The Elder Scrolls 4 or 5, Portal 2, Batman:Arkham City, Total War series (several of these), Battlefield 3, RAGE, From Dust

Some websites to use are www.ign.com, www.gamespot.com and www.metacritic.com. Metacritic is very useful as it lets you read reviews from lots of different of different places so thats professional reviews and ones by people like you and me on the internet.

Also I googled "what video games are safe for my kids" and this popped up: http://www.mumsnet.com/internet-safety/video-games, I had a skim over the article and it seemed sound advice.

Lastly, do a price check before buying anything, www.ukhotdeals.co.uk is a great site as bargains are often posted but google works well enough. Computer shops can be great but like your LBS for your bike the service can vary, beware of getting flogged a dead horse!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Star Wars the Old Republic (SWTOR) was a subscription only game. It's now gone free to play.

The basic free game allows you to play through all the original story arcs for any of the 8 or so classes. You do not have to pay anything else to play. Micropayments allow access to advanced items/skills etc which make playing faster/easier and allow access to higher level contents. - Non of this is needed.

TBH SWTOR generates a lot of on-line hate because of the way the original game was handled/released. There are a large number of people determined to see it fail

Other free to play RGS that operate in a similar way are, Planetside, Lord Of the Rings Online, Runescape and my personal favourite (although possibly not suitable for an 8yr old The Secret World. Non of them need you to pay, but in-game can be easier if you do,

My Kids are currently addicted to Roblox. A kind of on-line lego world builder that lets people create their own games for everyone else to play (or just mess about in other peoples worlds).

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply !

Star Wars the Old Republic (SWTOR) was a subscription only game. It's now gone free to play.

The basic free game allows you to play through all the original story arcs for any of the 8 or so classes. You do not have to pay anything else to play. Micropayments allow access to advanced items/skills etc which make playing faster/easier and allow access to higher level contents. - Non of this is needed.

TBH SWTOR generates a lot of on-line hate because of the way the original game was handled/released. There are a large number of people determined to see it fail

A primary problem with SWTOR, is that the download is massive - over 20gb. Frankly, I don't half the patience, to wait half a day (or more) for the download of a game that he might not like. What I'd prefer (though the 8 year old wouldn't :smile: ), is a simple installation by DVD

You do not have to pay anything else to play.

Micropayments allow access to advanced items/skills . . . . . . .

I already make 'micropayments' :smile: to Club Penguin, Roblox and (iirc) Minecraft. A minor problem with some of these, is that it is up to the payee to remember to 'opt out' of automatic re-subscription.

Top Bottom