Computer issue; either really simple or a dead computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My laptop has gone from being a fairly reliable workhorse yesterday to suddenly dying on me for no apparent reason.

Yesterday I switched it off and it had been fine, this afternoon I couldn't switch it on at first, now it seems to register the adaptor being plugged in and work, but then suddenly goes dead as if there's no power.

the problem started today and it hadn't moved; the only possible issue was that I snagged the power chord moving some furniture, so I'm guessing I've pulled something vital and there's a dodgy contact, but before I spend on a new adaptor, is there anything else that could be causing this, and/or how would I test the adaptor?

My laptop has gone from being a fairly reliable workhorse yesterday to suddenly dying on me for no apparent reason.

Yesterday I switched it off and it had been fine, this afternoon I couldn't switch it on at first, now it seems to register the adaptor being plugged in and work, but then suddenly goes dead as if there's no power.

the problem started today and it hadn't moved; the only possible issue was that I snagged the power chord moving some furniture, so I'm guessing I've pulled something vital and there's a dodgy contact, but before I spend on a new adaptor, is there anything else that could be causing this, and/or how would I test the adaptor?

Quite possibly the adapter, particularly if the really thin type, same happened on my Acer.

si_c

Guru
You *can* if you have one put a voltmeter across the power terminals in the connector, check to see what voltage/current is flowing if any. I've done it a few times to test PSUs of varying uncertain status to good effect.

If it works then it could be the connector inside the laptop or the battery circuit or any number of things.

Doesn't the laptop have a battery to take over if mains charger power is removed or fails?

Yes, but I tend to keep it out of the laptop because I don't want to wear it down by charging it, even so, the battery has a pretty short life.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, but I tend to keep it out of the laptop because I don't want to wear it down by charging it, even so, the battery has a pretty short life.

I was thinking that if a battery with at least a few minutes of charge were fitted, then you should be able to see what was going on if/when the charger voltage failed.

Top Bottom