computer problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I bought a polar computer 3 weeks ago and the damn thing has just stopped working. The computer works fine just picking up no speed whatsoever, is it normal for the sensor to fail/get knocked slightly do other funny things. Whatever I do seems to make no difference. Any ideas?

frog

My previous HRM/computer was a Polar and could be very tempramental. It was one of those which doubled as a wrist watch and was attached to a mount by the wrist strap. On the back of the handlebar mount there were two metal contacts which could be very particular. I got into the habit of giving them a rub over with the back of my glove each time I put the thing on. Polar magnets, which fit on the spokes, are rubbish. I set mine up by having it hit the sensor on the fork to start off with and then turning it everso slightly until they just missed. They also have to be at the right height as well. There is a certain part of the sensor they have to pass by - have a look in the instructions to get the exact spot.

In the end I gave up on their magnet and used an old one from a Cateye, which is twice the size, and most of the speed data problems vanished. I've got a spare if you want one.

Another thing Polar are quite weak on is the cable from the speed sensor to the computer. It's very easy to pinch and break the conductor with the cable ties supplied. The really rotton thing is you can't actually see there is a break.

yenrod

marinyork said:
I bought a polar computer 3 weeks ago and the damn thing has just stopped working. The computer works fine just picking up no speed whatsoever, is it normal for the sensor to fail/get knocked slightly do other funny things. Whatever I do seems to make no difference. Any ideas?

Just get replacement - mention THE SALE AND SUPLPY OF GOODS act and that should get things moving.

Though I did once say to a some shop staff once I wasnt leaving the shop ubnless they give me a new phone - miraculously they ordered me one !

Dont care about how you look Marin - you've PAID good money (they arent cheap) and you need goods to that amount that WORK !

All the best.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Just for curiosity...did you get it wet? Mine quits working whenever it gets wet. In my case, it's somehow related to the sensor. It happens when it's raining, or if I go through a big puddle. I can try drying it with an air hose when I get home, but nothing gets it working again, until it sits overnight. That is consistent. Started happening when it was a couple years old. I can live with it.

There are a couple of things you can check, though. The sensor is just a magnetically actuated switch. All it does it turn "on" and "off". So, if you have a continuity light, you can check the sensor by removing the computer head, and holding your continuity light leads against the contacts in the mount, and spinning the wheel. It should flash the light "on" and "off". If so, the sensor is working.
For the head, you can take a metal object like a penknife, screwdriver, paperclip...whatever...and short between the contacts on the back of the head. Short and release, short and release, etc. The computer should register at least something. If so, the computer is working.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hey thanks for the advice. I've got a spare non-polar magnet so going to try that. Then shop and threefingerjoe's advice. Thanks!

Top Bottom