computer stuff! RPI HDMI analogue/digital

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
if this is in wrong section please give me a good telling off and then move it! :biggrin:

anyway so i have a raspberry pi computer (one of those midget ones the size of a bank card thingy!) and it only has hdmi for video output and being skint and oldies in my family we are still all on vga! :sad: so i ordered a hdmi vga cable off ebay here it is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280879778457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and it arrived today so i tested it out and nothing! :sad: to make sure i had a good reliable power source monitor and RPI i nicked my bros hdmi vga adapter for his xbox against his will and it worked just fine! :cursing:
so i pm seller immediately explaining circumstances and saying product was faulty straight out of box and would be happy with replacement or refund
he has different ideas and pm's me saying
"'Have a nice day. Sorry to hear that. We hope the cable is not compatible with you pc. It means the HDMI port of your pc does not give analog signal through the HDMI port Thanks for understanding If you have any question feel free to ask us."

could he be right and i in the wrong? does the rpi not deliver analogue signal? should he still offer me refund?

lastly sorry for the very long and long winded post but i am just stuck and confused and fell that with so many computers out there their is always some nerds and geeks lurking everywhere!
Cheers Ed

Matthames

Über Member
If it is within 7 days and you still have all the packaging intact you can return it for whatever reason under the distance selling regs; however you will need to ensure that you return it in a merchantable condition, ie a condition you would like to receive the goods.

HDMI has different signals. A lot of devices now use a digital signal instead of an analogue. To use a Rasberry Pi with an analogue monitor or television, you will need to use a Digital to Analogue converter, which are about £30 in Maplins I believe.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
As with above, but the Raspberry PI only has a analog output, thus you need a converter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-V...ion_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58a9a5d5b7

Shocking reply though.

Oh btw, you need to have a OS on the raspberry to get anything but the bios out of it.
Liam
got given it off a mate who works in it and has basically neer used it only set it up and had a very small play and then decided he had too many computers (he has about 100 or more of anything he is interested in!) so he included sd cards one with rasbian one with wheezy and one with xbmc media center :biggrin:
the ebay item you linked to is very similar to my bros adapter and looks a GREAT price so will order. my bro paid a whole fiver for his, what a loser he obviosly didn't ask you to hnt him a bargain :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

alicat

Legendary Member
The raspberry pi does have RCA video output as well ie the yellow cable. I know because I am happily watching catch up TV with my raspberry pi on my CRT TV.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does your monitor have a DVI input as well as VGA. You can get a straight forward adapter for HDMI to DVI. That's how we've got my sons connected. We've also tried the RCA with an analogue TV

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
The raspberry pi does have RCA video output as well ie the yellow cable. I know because I am happily watching catch up TV with my raspberry pi on my CRT TV.
another cable to buy and then i might as well buy an adapter like @L14M linked to
Does your monitor have a DVI input as well as VGA. You can get a straight forward adapter for HDMI to DVI. That's how we've got my sons connected. We've also tried the RCA with an analogue TV
in a nutshell, no
just vga
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom