computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Any recommendations for extremely easy fit would like one for me and the children so not too expensive and simple to use.

peanut

I am looking for one for myself . I saw a nice one in Halfords yesterday.
Its their own brand called bikehut it was £24.99 and wireless so you dion't have to mess about with clipping wires all over the bike.
It has 12 functions but more importantly for me it has a really big lcd readout which is easy to see on the move.
Its very small, curvy and has a nice chrome finishing .Think I'll get one.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1456_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_31456

gkilner

I had a Halfords brand wireless computer, and although easy to use, I found that it was always picking up interference making it freeze - usually when going past certain traffic lights?? Don't know why it would do that.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
From my experience I'd stay clear of cheaper wireless ones, as they do tend to get a bit of interference & cause innaccurate readings. If you just want to measure mileage & speed any cheap wired one will be fine :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
I've had good service from the Cateye computers over the years and would say they are worth a look. I don't think there is much advantage in going for wireless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Not really suzi, the only difference is running a very fine cable up your forks and then winding it around your brake cable at the top. Nothing difficult about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would also recommend steering clear of wireless computers, they might look like a good idea initially but in practice unless you are willing to go for an expensive model they tend to be unreliable.

As for setting up the only difference is that you have to wind a wire around the the front fork and then up the brake cable, as Keith says.

I would recommend the VDO C4. VDO are instrument makers, unlike some other makers and so understand making accurate distance and speed measurements (they also make speedometer for the likes of Mercedes and BMW).

I am sure there will be others along to soon to recommend they favourite bands. ;)

Bob_betty

Purchased this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0363314/Trail/searchtext>BIKE+COMPUTERS.htm
at £20 its nice and cheap.
Used it on routes that I'm used to in order to verify it was upto standard, an this was confirmed.
Comes with a few cable ties to connect to your bike and frame so easy to put on although setting the wheel peramiter was confusing for a newbie like me.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bob_betty said:
Comes with a few cable ties to connect to your bike and frame so easy to put on although setting the wheel peramiter was confusing for a newbie like me.

All cycle commuters will require to enter the wheel size, the simplest way to measure this is to lay out a tape measure on the floor, line up the tyre valve of the front with the start of the tape, wheel the bike forward until the wheel has made a complete rotation, then read of distance next to the valve.

peanut

gkilner said:
I had a Halfords brand wireless computer, and although easy to use, I found that it was always picking up interference making it freeze - usually when going past certain traffic lights?? Don't know why it would do that.
Halfords neatly avoid answering that one on their website ;)
fortunately I only cycle in the countryside so there are no traffic lights :blush:

I am thinking of putting the magnet and sensor /transmitter on the rear wheel and stays so wireless is the only way to go for me.

baggytrousers

Hi Peanuts - I've used a Cateye micro wireless for almost 2 years and not had any problems with interference - however the transmitter has to be installed within a max distance of 70cm from the computer. I don't know for sure but I would imagine the further apart they are the more susceptible they will be to interference - Fitting the transmitter and magnet on the rear wheel might be too far for it to work effectively - maybe some brands are different but check the max distance they can be installed apart before you buy.

Top Bottom