Confused about first new tyre replacement/upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupie

Über Member
The tyres on my road bike have started to get a little old, there is cracking in the walls and so I think it is time to replace them. This will be the first time I am looking to replace and possably upgrade. The bike is a Bianchi, Aluminium, with Carbon/Kevlar forks (cost about £1000).
Looked at the myriad of tyres on offer and am lost in the confusion. Folding ? or not, tube or not ? I have innertubes at the moment.
I cycle about 40-50 miles each outing, mainly in the cotswolds, but have done 100m. Not racing but keen to improve times and fitness and can afford to spend upto £50 per tyre and have attached pics of exsisting tyres and wheels ( another confusion to me.)
IMG_0565.jpg

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
Even though I previewed post with the images, they have not uploaded. Running Continental Ultra sport 700x23c
Wheels are Maddux RX5.1 622x 15c

goody

Veteran
I think you'll need to stick with tubes not sure your rims are tubeless compatible.
Folding tyres are lighter than wired ones and easier to carry if you are on a tour etc. a want to have a spare with you.

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX are a highly regarded lightweight fast rolling tyre. Never used them but will put them on my next bike that's only used for nice rides out.
Schwalbe Durano Plus are much heavier and what I use to commute on because I really want to avoid flats on the way to work.
Cotinental Gator skins have good flat resistance and are a bit lighter than Durano's.
Lots of people will have different opinions and preferences but in general you get what you pay for.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Maxxis Re-Fuse ride pretty well, and I've not had any visitations as yet.
Conti Gators and GP are also good, as are Michelin ProRace.
Ultra Sport are not bad, for what they are, but they are at the low end of road bike rubber.

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
I have noticed that the continentals I have, most people agree that although they are not the best they are considered good value for money.
I assume at my level etc, i stick with innertubes and do not need to worry about folding and tubeless.

Thanks

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Im a michelin man!

Krylion for general commuting, pro 3 or 4 for longer rides.

Krylion £20 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20460

Pro 4 £25 http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...-Race-Service-Course-Folding-Tyre/MICHTYRF209

For your budget you could get a set of both, and a tube or 2.

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
Thanks for all the suggestions for items to buy but one of the original parts to my post was about whether I should worry about tubless or folding etc. All of your reccomentations are great but no one is expanding on what type of tyre or what technical considerations are made before purchasing.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Tubeless - NO
Folding - Yes

Simples!

Most (if not all) of the recommendations above are folding tyres.
I'd add my vote for the higher end Michelins (avoid the cheapo Dynamics though - they are pants).
They are very nearly as puncture proof as the best Schwalbes and much easier to fit on the rims than any Continental tyres.

Folding tyres use aramid fibre ('Kevlar' is DuPont's trade name for it) as the bead material in place of steel wire. Aramid beads make for a much lighter tyre, a happy side effect being that they fold. Weight saved in the Tyres and rims is said to be twice as important as saving weight off the frame and other 'stationary' components.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A lot of tyres are available in both folding and wired versions. As Mickle says the folding versions are much lighter, and I find them more responsive (probably just a function of their lighter weight). Lighter inner tubes are also available. Less weight = more money, usually, of course. I am using folding Gatorskins on my bikes at the moment - besides being fairly light they cope well with the summer spate of 'top dressing', and also with winter conditions (I found Michelin Pro4 Race cut up really easily). One of the bikes came with Conti Ultrasport (wired), and they were perfectly serviceable, but much heavier. (Check out the manufacturers websites for weights and usage recommendations). Tubeless tyres are a relatively recent innovation for road bikes, are airtight on the rim (like car tyres) and require a special rim. As do tubular tyres, (mainly used for racing) which have a tube, enclosed within the tyre. 'Tubs' are glued to the rim using a special sticky tape or tubular cement. So wired or folding 'clincher' tyres for you!

Top Bottom