Confused by a 5 years old Maths question.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't understand, even with the explanation. And I did A level maths. There have been a few "techniques" my son has been taught which make no sense to me. Complicating the issue to make it simpler is not how I was taught

Tribansman

Veteran
My other half's a primary school teacher so have picked up a bit about number bonds by osmosis (she works every evening and most weekends).

They're first and most commonly taught to 10 and 20, e.g. number bonds to 10 are 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, etc. As kids go through years 1 and 2, they're expected to learn various different number bonds for the numbers up to 20 (and beyond), like those in the questions posted by the OP.

They help us split numbers in useful ways (ways that make sums easier and help embed principles) or put another way, how numbers join together, which introduces the concepts of addition and subtraction. They also help with the idea of inverse calculations, and that addition is the inverse of subtraction.

Don't think I've explained that the best and can see why some have said they seem pointless, but knowing a few instant, simple facts like the difference between 10 and 6 will always be 4, etc can help people have functional maths skills.

Unfortunately or fortunately I'm working & the wife is on teaching duty, TBH I'm still grasping on how to it helps, I'd much rather use a ladder, or number line as I'm now told it's called, each generation of teachers or Governors of Ofsted seem to have to prove their existence by reinventing the wheel, only to return a few years later to a round one.

Almost a Godwin, blame Hitler Ofsted.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So I teach Reception (not sure if your granddaughter is R or Y1) and I'm surprised at the complexity of this question. I wonder if it was explained in the video lesson beforehand? I see it's an Oak lesson and they're usually very good.

I find number bonds really useful for children to 5 and 10. What two numbers make up those numbers. 3 and 7 for example, 2 and 3. I've never heard of the number bonds in the questions but this is only my second year teaching, so I'm very new.

I think the question is asking something like 'if you know THIS fact, you can work out the answer quite easily'.

So if you knew 7-3 was 4 (which many 5 yo would know), then you could work out that 17-3 = 14. You're just adding 10.
If you knew that 4-2 = 2, you could work out that 14-2= 12. You're just adding 10.
If you knew that 2-1 =1, you could work out that 12-1=11.

Does that help?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

So I teach Reception (not sure if your granddaughter is R or Y1) and I'm surprised at the complexity of this question. I wonder if it was explained in the video lesson beforehand? I see it's an Oak lesson and they're usually very good.

I find number bonds really useful for children to 5 and 10. What two numbers make up those numbers. 3 and 7 for example, 2 and 3. I've never heard of the number bonds in the questions but this is only my second year teaching, so I'm very new.

I think the question is asking something like 'if you know THIS fact, you can work out the answer quite easily'.

So if you knew 7-3 was 4 (which many 5 yo would know), then you could work out that 17-3 = 14. You're just adding 10.
If you knew that 4-2 = 2, you could work out that 14-2= 12. You're just adding 10.
If you knew that 2-1 =1, you could work out that 12-1=11.

Does that help?
We wasn't aware of the video at the time, on opening the page it went straight into the questions, however just talking to my wife after reading your post she told me they had found the video after trying the questions. I still think it's a convoluted method, but I'm not inside a 5 YO's mind, she is Y1 BTW.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I do all my own bike maintenance but I only have two bikes that are used, so I simply don't need top of the range tools. Certainly it would be nice to have Park Tools stuff but, for me, it would be complete overkill given the amount of use they would get. I get cheapo no-name stuff on eBay as long as it doesn't look like it's made out of cheese.

Woodwork and metalwork are another matter altogether.
Is this the correct thread :laugh:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We wasn't aware of the video at the time, on opening the page it went straight into the questions, however just talking to my wife after reading your post she told me they had found the video after trying the questions. I still think it's a convoluted method, but I'm not inside a 5 YO's mind, she is Y1 BTW.

I think it's very complex for a little person but helping her see the patterns in the numbers might be a useful thing to work on. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if I can help again.

I think it's very complex for a little person but helping her see the patterns in the numbers might be a useful thing to work on. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if I can help again.

Agreed, imagine you (not you but ...) learn the following 9 ordered "names"
Shta’im
Shalosh
Arba
Khamesh
Shesh
Sheva
Shmone
Tesha

And want to do
Shmone - Shalosh = Shesh
Having learnt
Shesh + Shalosh = Shmone
Helps in the beginning. It's easy to forget how hard it is to get started.

Top Bottom