Confused????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My organisation are running a cycle to work scheme (perfect timing as I have been looking at upgrading my hybrid for a road bike) so I have started researching the various bikes on offer. I have visited a number of LBS and some have been very helpful but, not surprisingly, they recommend the bikes they keep in stock. I am keen to keep the price down as I will need some accessories as well (pedals, shoes etc) so I have narrowed the choices down to the following....
  • Trek 1.1 or 1.2 (LBS strongly recommended the 1.2 if I could stretch to it)
  • Specialized Allez (don't seem to hear anything negative about these as a n entry level bike) ? Secteur
  • Giant Defy 5 (not sure if I can afford the 4??)
  • Boardman Road Race - bit of an outsider perhaps in this company??

Anyways, I would be grateful for any advice or comments on the bikes I am considering...

Thanks in advance.
Michael

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I can only comment on the Giant bikes but my LBS bascially expalined to me the difference between the 5 and 4 or 4 and 3for instance is mostly the level of equipment in the way of deraillier/ bottom brackets such as Sora or Tiagra etc. Now if you were to price up upgrading everything at a later date for instance from Sora to Tiagra the price for all the components would be a lot more than the extra price between the models which come equipped with them in the first instance. I originally looked at a defy 3......i plumbed for the 2 because of the level of equipment (which may or may not be of concern to you or anyone else for that matter)....but ended up with a different bike in the end anyway because of the wait i had back in March.

defy-one

From that list the Allez and Boardman are better specced having carbon front forks.
Giant 4 (i think) and above would be carbon fork and Sora shifters

I would have a good look at the Boardman - especially if you can get it during one of the periodic discounts that run, I picked up my boardman team for £750 using c2w due to a 20% discount and an extra 5% on the day. Well worth talking to the dept managers in Halfords - you should be able to get next spec level up for your money^_^

Top Bottom