Confusion with new chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

I have been out of the loop a very long time with cycling bits. There is one good bike shop near me, but I tend to buy lots of things I need in one go when they go out of fashion.

I am on my last chainset though (I should have bought more of the 7 speedXT ones when Chain reaction were selling them for £5 each!), and I'm thinking about its replacement.

Can someone tell me - what's the deal with 10 speed chainrings and compatability with 7 speed cassettes and chains? They didn't exist when I last bought new bike parts. I see there are lots of far eastern sounding names and credible looking chainsets and I'd consider buying one next time. The price of the old ones is going a bit silly. I see Spa is doing some nice 8 speed ones, but these are about 1/3 of the price and as a consumable, it's hard to ignore that.

byegad

Legendary Member
SPA Cycles of Harrogate are your friend, give them a call and they are very helpful as to what goes with what.
Their mail order is excellent.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
10 speed chains are narrower and hence so are chainrings, so whilst your 7 speed chain will fit over it (note it wouldn't work the other way round) you will get play and noise and its not a good idea. Get a 7/8spd one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One of my local bike shops is selling a double SqT alloy chainset for less than a fiver. Look Okay but you takes your chance on longevity and quality.

Sharky

Guru
I thought the internal width of the chains were the same. It's only the external width that is narrower for 10 speed chains?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I thought the internal width of the chains were the same. It's only the external width that is narrower for 10 speed chains?

you are correct (all still 3/32nds), but there is still a issue as for double (or triple) the chainrings are set marginally closer together (to compensate for the narrower outside width of chain, so shifting will still be a bit iffy / noise but fora different reason :laugh:

Top Bottom