Considering a new camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd absolutely love to buy a POV.1, but at £500 it is just too expensive. However, the camera attached to my archos is starting to show signs of deterioration; the focus is looking poorer, the picture sometimes drops out (loose connection possibly) and I've noticed some pixels are dropping out in the image (not always visible but it is there).

The camera is just about a year old, just outside warranty. Anyway most of the damage is probably through rough use so not really covered under warranty.

So my options are to completely ditch the Archos and get something that can record itself, or I could get a new camera and keep using the Archos.

I have recently found out that there are a number of cameras that can be attached to the Archos. They are sold by docamsports. These cameras certainly sound good on paper, they have higher resolution, good sensitivity at night, and apparently have excellent built in digital signal processors (DSP) that help keep the image crisp and clean and to provide good contrast in different lighting conditions. The camera that particularly interests me is the Dogcam Pro 550/589 Sony HQ1.

The disadvantages are that it would need an extra power supply and so require an extra lead going into my rucksack (possibly another for the mic), and the Archos could not make full advantage of the high resolution of the camera (it can only record at 640 x 480).

I wouldn't be too bothered about the extra leads, and although the Archos would not be able to make full advantage of the resolution, it would still sharpen up the images I would store, and the DSP would also improve the video. I could also upgrade the recorder in the future if and when required, or occasionally use my camcorder, although not routinely.

Having had an e-mail conversation with them (customer service seems good) they have suggested that I could buy it and try it out, and if I didn't like it they would give me a full refund.

It would be £185 for the kit. Significantly cheaper than buying a POV.1!

Mmm. I will ponder a little more......:wacko:

Any thoughts?

domtyler

Über Member
Stop being such a tight arsed Scot and go for the POV.1.

domtyler

Über Member
You had the opportunity to make some cash a while ago while you were getting publicity but you failed to take advantage. You could be living in a large country house with three or four classic cars on the driveway and taking golfing holidays in the Seychelles by now if only you had been a little sharper on the uptake. It's a crying shame really. :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
You had the opportunity to make some cash a while ago while you were getting publicity but you failed to take advantage. You could be living in a large country house with three or four classic cars on the driveway and taking golfing holidays in the Seychelles by now if only you had been a little sharper on the uptake. It's a crying shame really. :smile:

And how would I have been able to make money? Could you let me know, just in case the opportunity should arise again! :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
If only you had had the commercial nous to take advantage of your fortunate position you could, right now, be rigging up your brand spanking new professional quality, high definition camera system to your high end, luxury motor cruiser and setting sail for the Caribbean with your kids running riot below decks and your wife mixing you a Gin and tonic at the on-board cocktail cabinet.

What a missed opportunity! :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
If only you had had the commercial nous to take advantage of your fortunate position you could, right now, be rigging up your brand spanking new professional quality, high definition camera system to your high end, luxury motor cruiser and setting sail for the Caribbean with your kids running riot below decks and your wife mixing you a Gin and tonic at the on-board cocktail cabinet.

What a missed opportunity! :smile:

Yes, but how could I have done it? At least give me an overview of where I went wrong? :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
I fear it is too late for you now Magnatom, such opportunities rarely come around, but when they do we need to be ready to grasp them and hold on for dear life.

But you still have your health and a wonderful family to content yourself with so you have plenty to be grateful for. :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
I fear it is too late for you now Magnatom, such opportunities rarely come around, but when they do we need to be ready to grasp them and hold on for dear life.

But you still have your health and a wonderful family to content yourself with so you have plenty to be grateful for. :smile:

You haven't met my family....:smile:;):rolleyes:

Top Bottom