Contact lenses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am very pro. Love them.

Long story, but chainsaw accident saw me ram raiding the local opticians to get a splinter out. They did a check and found I wasn’t driving legal. Glasses didn’t work with my job so I went on a lens trial. I had a few different makes, sizes etc and settled on a 30 day disposable make. I buy them every 3 months. You get used to them very quickly. I don’t get red or dry eyes anymore because you effectively have a little shield over your eye. I have also been body boarding in quite big waves and they were fine much against advice by the opticians.

Which is a bit like saying "I've never had an accident, so I won't bother with insurance"

Not following advice like that can cost you an eye. Google Acanthamoeba to find case histories of folk who did various things, even as simple as wearing their lenses in the shower and are now regretting it.

Here's one link but there have been other cases recently

potsy

Rambler
Another long term wearer here, 25+ years.

Originally for playing footie as I was blind as a bat without my glasses.

Mine are toric fortnightly lenses, do the job fine even if they can vary slightly each fresh pair.

Recently had to start wearing reading glasses over the top for close up work, but still prefer this to wearing glasses.

Trickedem

Guru
Depending on your prescription you may be able to do what I do. I just use a single disposable lens. This does the longer distance stuff and I can get away with it in either eye. My prescription is - 1.25
The other eye does the short distance stuff.
It's a compromise, but works fine for cycling

Globalti

Legendary Member
Which is a bit like saying "I've never had an accident, so I won't bother with insurance"

Not following advice like that can cost you an eye. Google Acanthamoeba to find case histories of folk who did various things, even as simple as wearing their lenses in the shower and are now regretting it.

Here's one link but there have been other cases recently

Flippin' 'eck when I was experimenting with contact lenses I did all those things wrong! My Irish buddy tried for years, always struggled putting them in, saying "it's because I've got small piggy eyes", so he used to lie on his back on the floor and hold his eyelids apart while I tried to put in the contacts! What a circus that was. We never washed our hands. One day he told me he kept losing lenses and actually thought they had all gone round the back of his eyeballs!

I wore soft lenses for about 15 years, from my mid 30s. I had worn glasses from about age 15, and liked the convenience of not having them fog up when going from cold walks and into crowded places. I used to wear mine 5 days a week for work, then wear my glasses to give my eyes a "rest" from them at weekends.

Mine needed cleaning every night, and had to be placed in cleaning solution overnight, then a neutralising tablet added in the morning. The only snag was on nights when I was really knackered, having to spend those extra few minutes cleaning the lenses before I could go off to sleep. Mine were on a monthly subscription plan, so I got a new set of lenses every (I think) 3 months, and a new set of all the cleaning gear once a month.

Eventually, I gave up on them as my prescription changed, and one set of lenses wouldn't work well enough for both distance and close up work. I went over to varifocal glasses (I don't think varifocal contact lenses were a thing back then) and, as they say, I have never looked back.......

Mr Celine

Discordian
Is that really a thing? Sounds crazy, yet also makes sense!
I have this too. I've had GP lenses for 30 years and never lost one yet. My right (distance) lens is about 10 years old. I now only wear them at work.
I don't like cycling with them as grit or insects are really painful if they get stuck.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks everyone - I'm going to book an eye test and use the free contact lens trial.

I'll go on a weekday when the schools are back, as last time I had a gaggle of kids staring at me while I was choosing my glasses. Most off-putting! Be ever worse if trying to stick something in my eye.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can well remember the agony caused by a blast of dusty wind in the face. I'd be crying and incapable of doing anything for a couple of minutes until the dust got washed away.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks everyone - I'm going to book an eye test and use the free contact lens trial.

I'll go on a weekday when the schools are back, as last time I had a gaggle of kids staring at me while I was choosing my glasses. Most off-putting! Be ever worse if trying to stick something in my eye.

You’ll do fine.

I started off with a local opticians who were good at raising the initial prescription but were rubbish at pricing and keeping appointments. So I have long since ditched them and buy exactly the same thing online* for a third of the price. And I get a free, comprehensive check every year. (And a telling off @mistyoptic for jumping in the sea and forgetting to take them out)

*Lenstore who are brilliant.

Top Bottom