Continental Gator Hardshell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
How good are these tyres? I tried Gator Skins are few years back and utterly hated them.

The new bike has them but I’m wondering about changing them before I have even picked it up.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I use them and don't have an issue

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My tyre of choice now is the Conti GP5000 but I have Gatatorskins on other bikes and they offer great puncture protection, fantastic longevity and decent rolling resistance. Other aren’t too impressed with how they handle in wet conditions, I corner carefully when moist so haven’t had any issues there.

If you want a quick grippy tyre I would go for the GP5000. If you want a tyre for the reasons above then the Gatorskin would be a great choice.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have run Gatorskins for years on several bikes, and I have not encountered the problems in the wet that other riders have.

gbb

Legendary Member
I ran Gators, later hardshells for years, gbeyre not immune to punctures but overall, considering the mileage i used to do, not shabby at all.
Downsides, very slippy until you had ridden them for 50 miles perhaps to scrub off the surface, then i found them ok. Also can be prone to small slits but a reinforcing patch between the tube and tyre always did the job.
In my last few years serious riding, i switched to GP4000s i think, maybe 5000s, id have to look, i found them really good, a bit better feel than the Gators

Top Bottom