Continual tempation to raise the £ threshold for first new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carrick_Roads

More in need of counselling than anything else. Cycle to work scheme is about to be offered and for the last few weeks I have been looking at specific models. Started with the Trek 1.5, then moved upwards to a Trek 1.7, Giant SCR 1.0 and a Specialized Alle Elite. Now I am being tempted by a Focus Cayo! So gone from £600 up to £1,000 and above. Ouch.

My intention is to commute to work with a 75 minute route and take a direct 20 minute route back. This has worked well for the last couple of months on a 20 year old Raleigh. Being competitive by nature I can feel that in a few months, with improving fitness on a new bike I will want to have a go at a few club outings, longer runs and a sportive.

So should I grasp for the Focus Cayo, or be content with something like a Giant SCR1? I wonder if I am being trapped by the marketing of all carbon!

What do you think?

Maz

Guru
Hi
The Cayo, you can only buy new online from Wiggle, is that right? Hence no way to test ride it until you've already bought it. If I'm right, that'd put me off.
Someone on here (Domtyler?) has a Cayo - maybe he'll come along and offer some advice.

Mortiroloboy

No need to worry, cycle to work is limited to £1,000, so that should make it easier to focus in on the specialized bike, to enable you to make that Giant Trek to work and back...What?

User259iroloboy said:
No need to worry, cycle to work is limited to £1,000, so that should make it easier to focus in on the specialized bike, to enable you to make that Giant Trek to work and back...What?

Ooooooooooooooooooooo! Cheeky!

Remember the formula n+1 will apply... where n is the number of bikes you already have...

Better go for the best you can C Roads. (You need an A and a B bike asap!)
Luxury of choice only strikes once - the next one becomes a necessity.:becool:

Easy really, if you are commuting on a Cayo, getting a neat bike for 'best' is an easy justification.
Buy something more modest, then a Cayo becomes 'the next bike' :smile: not the bling :rolleyes: like a Specialized S-Works or Cervelo etc...:smile:. (Oh ok then a Willier too...)
I'm only joking of course, but even if you buy the top of your choice, the Bike To Work scheme is doing you good.
And keep the Raliegh, take lots of snaps, and do a restoration project - post in the gallery.
Take time to pop into the café for (at the moment smutty banter) a well earned cup of tea from time to time. :angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just give in and go for the Giant SCR1, you know you really want too, and once you've got it I am sure you'll find a way of justifying your decision:evil:

doyler78

The Focus Cayo is now beyond the £1000 limit, if your scheme imposes this as it has been revised up to £1,099 for the last couple of months. As to Maz's comment it is actually now out of date as the Focus Cayo 7 day test ride has returned therefore it can be returned after 7 days if you don't like it and you can ride it as much as you like. Just have to clean it down before having it collected from you at Wiggle's cost. How the return fits within the cycle to work scheme is another matter and is something you would need to find out first if you did go down this route.

OP
OP
C

Carrick_Roads

Thanks for the comments. Have decided I will go for a Giant SCR1 or the Trek 1.7 and make a final decision after test riding each bike.

dodgy

If you're benefitting from the cycle to work scheme, max it out to £1000. It's a golden opportunity and in my opinion, a total no-brainer :biggrin:

Dave.

G_MAN

I'm also waiting for my employer to announce the ride to work scheme and have gone from looking at a £500 road bike to upwards of £1000. I've now decided it's probably going to be best to stick to £800 and leave £200 aside for accessories and clothing with a view to adding a few of my hard earned beer tokens to the voucher for anything else i may need.

I was almost set on the Specialized Allez Elite 2008 until i realised you don;t get much in terms of the groupset for the money in comparison to other manufacturers. I believe the Spesh has a Shimano Tiagra groupset, however, other manufacturers offer Shimano 105 and some even Shimano Ultegra for the same price.

Admitedly i don't know much when it comes to cycling, however, from the advice i've had from this forum over the past few days i think i may mave had the opportunity to get myself a bargain.

Keith Oates

Janner
Carrick Roads. It may be a little bit wet riding a bike there but for a ride around Falmouth and countryside the Giant should be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blindmanpugh

Cycle2Work scheme

I too have just been offered to partake in the cycle2work scheme and am also in a dilema. Exactly as others are I too am looking at a Giant SCR1 and a TREK 1.7 or 1.9, the Specialized Allez Elite was discounted on the groupset for an £800 bike.

However, after speaking to Halfords who operate the scheme for my employers, they were offering a Carrera Visage (only available at Halfords) and a Doylan Mythos in the same price bracket.

However, the most difficult thing is trying to actually see the bikes and then get a ride. I live in Norfolk and have rung bike shops around Kings Lynn but no one has anything in. Am off to Slough this weekend and spoken to the shops there and most only have lower cost models.

Does anyone know of any LBS that may ahve these models in stock?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
blindmanpugh said:
I too have just been offered to partake in the cycle2work scheme and am also in a dilema. Exactly as others are I too am looking at a Giant SCR1 and a TREK 1.7 or 1.9, the Specialized Allez Elite was discounted on the groupset for an £800 bike.

However, after speaking to Halfords who operate the scheme for my employers, they were offering a Carrera Visage (only available at Halfords) and a Doylan Mythos in the same price bracket.

However, the most difficult thing is trying to actually see the bikes and then get a ride. I live in Norfolk and have rung bike shops around Kings Lynn but no one has anything in. Am off to Slough this weekend and spoken to the shops there and most only have lower cost models.

Does anyone know of any LBS that may ahve these models in stock?

Is there an Evans nearby? They are often tw*ts but they do have a good selection.

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores.jsp

Top Bottom