Convert to Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
Hi Folks,

I have had my Orro Terra G 105 for a year now and have covered many miles, I love the bike but have been disappointed with the cable disc brakes.

I'd like to convert them to hydraulic as it'll make me happier with the bike overall and hang onto it for a lot longer, I'd appreciate confirmation on my thoughts below and that what I plan will work.

I understand my bike currently has Tektro MD-C550 calipers which are flat mount and uses Shimano 105 7000 shifters. If I source a set of Shimano 105 7020 levers and flat mount calipers - they would be a direct fit? With the task of also routing cables, re-indexing the gears and re-wrapping the bar tape?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should work well. Don't forget you'll need a bleed kit and fluid of course.
Going to be expensive but you'll be able to sell the discarded items to offset.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I see no reason why this shouldn't work. I have hydro disks (R7000 throughout ) and they're really, really nice :smile:

OP
OP
chr15b

chr15b

Über Member
Thank you both for sharing. I wasn't aware cable acruated hydraulic calipers were a thing - would be much easier for sure. I'll check those out!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just done exactly this conversion on my road bike, except swapped mechanical Tiagra & Spyres for full Hydraulic 4720 Tiagra shifters and calipers.

It is just as you say, re-cable and re-wrap the bars.

Didn't need to bleed as they come pre-bled but in two parts (shifter and some hose, with caliper and rest of hose). Once joined any bubbles of air in the hose appears to self bleed upwards through the lever after several pumps (probably helps to angle bike and handlebars to make sure lever is highest point while doing this). I even shortened the hoses slightly for optimal fit and they still self-bled.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@chr15b see if you can buy @I like Skol 's spyre calipers as a first go. Saves the expense of swapping shifters and Spyres are the dogs dangly bits of cable discs. hey will be a significant improvement on the tektro's

figbat

Slippery scientist
I run Spyres (albeit post-mount ones) on my homebrew gravel bike. They are certainly plenty enough for that bike the way I ride it, but they are not as good as the various hydraulic brakes I have on other bikes. But I went cable on this build because it was simple and cheap so in terms of bang-per-buck, they are certainly worth looking at.

Top Bottom