Converting a Mountain Bike frame to 700C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Picked up a Dawes Ascent frame for a Cyclocross/winter build with cantilever brakes and fatter tyres - wondered about the possibility of fitting 700C wheels - I've read places that it is doable, though depends on the frame specifically.

Anyone had any experience with this previously (with this frame or without), or can point me towards any more information?

Cheers in advance,

lpretro1

Won't the brake bosses on the fork be in the wrong place|?

Drago

Legendary Member
As above, brake bosses in the wrong position. I'm not sure if you're intending to use it for CX, but I'm pretty sure the rules exclude MTBs.

However, skinnyish 1.7 or 1.9 tyres, shorter stem and flared drop bars can build a bike that's similar in character and function, often referred to as a Monster Cross or Gravel Grinder.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Unfortunately the brake bosses will be in the wrong place, too far down the frame. You can do it with disc-braked bikes but with rim brakes you won't find any brakes that would reach.

Stick with the 26" wheels, and fit some thinner slicker tyres (as @Drago suggests). You could make a decent little tourer/winter commuter out of that bike, with normal drops if you want, or fit something like On One Midge bars for a monster cross feel.

I'd be tempted to stck Tektro 520 levers on with bar ends and use full sized v-brakes - or just stay with flat bars and flat bar kit. Maybe something with a bit of backwards sweep like these - link

Top Bottom