Converting a MTB to a 'fixie'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chocky

Hi everyone; I have a standard set up at the moment on my Trek aluminium MTB frame. It's a hard tail with suspension forks up front, and a budget Shimano drive train. My question is: I want to remove the gears (I live in Berlin and we don't have many hills here), and possibly just have one brake on the front, so can someone give me some pointers on what parts I would need to change in order to do this? I suppose the first thing to buy would be a completely new back wheel, or would I just need to buy a different hub?
Would I also need to get a new crankset?

RedBike

You'll probably need to start with changing the frame!

Unless you've got horizontal dropouts then you're going to find getting the chain tension right a complete nightmare.

On a more serious note, fixed wheel off-road doesn't really work. You can't get your weight back for the descents. Your pedals will hit everything. You're much better off going single speed.

For this you need to replace the cassette with a converter
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2300

Replace the rear mech with a chain tensioner (or adapt the rear mech).
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Surly_Singleator_Chain_Tensioner/5360010364/

Remove all the chain rings from your cranks and re-fit just the middle one with track bolts (your existing bolts will be too long).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-CHAINRING...8|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

The examples i've linked to were just the first items I found. There WILL be better / cheaper items available.

OP
OP
C

Chocky

Thanks for the tips; I should have been more careful with my terminology :biggrin:, I actually meant single speed.. fixies are ok for some people, but I want a bit more choice when it comes to needing to stop.
I'll take a look at the links. Cheers.

skwerl

Chocky said:
Thanks for the tips; I should have been more careful with my terminology :biggrin:, I actually meant single speed.. fixies are ok for some people, but I want a bit more choice when it comes to needing to stop.
I'll take a look at the links. Cheers.

actually - a fixie does give you more choice when it comes to stopping - you can use your legs as well as the brakes.

BTW - not sure about Germany but you need two brakes in the UK to be road-legal. Fixed get away with one brake as leg-braking counts as a second brake. With a single-speed you'll need front and rear brakes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
google charliethebikemonger and watch his youtube video on converting to SS.

he got me started after I broke a mech on one of my bikes...... be warned SS MTB's are highly addictive

OP
OP
C

Chocky

skwerl said:
actually - a fixie does give you more choice when it comes to stopping - you can use your legs as well as the brakes.

BTW - not sure about Germany but you need two brakes in the UK to be road-legal. Fixed get away with one brake as leg-braking counts as a second brake. With a single-speed you'll need front and rear brakes.

hehe, there are loads of no brake fixies here in Berlin.
I don't think I could ever get used to one brake, in the summer I mainly use the front, but winters here are hard and they don't salt the roads so a front brake only is a definite no no.

Top Bottom