Converting Cannondale Fatboy 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will be upgrading the bars and seatpost from steel to alloy, which will also shed some lard...

Don't expect much weight saving from the seatpost.I fitted an alloy one from a donor bike to my Raleigh Pioneer and it saved a whopping 1 1/2 ounces! Yes, I was sad enough to weigh both the steel and alloy versions :laugh:

Don't expect much weight saving from the seatpost.I fitted an alloy one from a donor bike to my Raleigh Pioneer and it saved a whopping 1 1/2 ounces! Yes, I was sad enough to weigh both the steel and alloy versions :laugh:

That's, what, a four finger kit kat? :tongue:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[/QU

Depends on the seatpost, if you get one with a fancy cast 'microadjst'head then you don't save much but if you go for a plain 'necked post you save more

OP
OP
M

Mishj

That's definitely something I think I'm going to take on as a bit of a project to keep me busy.
Having spoken to a chap at a local comminty based bike workshop, he suggested as some of you eluded to already that changing the front set up is not going to change things that much and best to try putting an 11-36 cassette on if it needs replacing anyway, and see how I go from there as like I've said I'm not that dosed about to speed(after all, downhills are for recuperating after climbing the hill in the first place).
My rear derailleur is I believe the original my query is my Shimano Alivio with what looks like a long cage 100mm centre to centre, but not 100% sure if that's capable of taking the 11-36 cassette, does anyone know what the capacity of the Alivio Rd's would have been back in 2016, or can I work it out somehow??
Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mishj

Ideal thanks, I guess I'll see soon as I've ordered one and only time will tell if my hunch is right or wrong.

my_key

Regular
I've converted my Bad Boy XL to drop bars and it fits me perfectly now, but im tall (193cm) and long handed. I fitted a shorter stem (80mm)

my_key

Regular
cndl.jpg

Top Bottom