converting recorded video to PC format...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I have got a programme recorded on the Sky box. How can I get it into a format so it can be watched on a PC? Anyone done this before? Thanks.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If it was from a free to air channel there are various bits of software available. Google "Sky+ recording format". If it was from a sky channel that you pay for, then the encoding may prove problematic.

Reactions: Maz
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
If it was from a free to air channel there are various bits of software available. Google "Sky+ recording format". If it was from a sky channel that you pay for, then the encoding may prove problematic.
Great. I'll read up on that. Yes, the recording is from a free-to-air channel.
Thank you.

I have got a programme recorded on the Sky box. How can I get it into a format so it can be watched on a PC? Anyone done this before? Thanks.

It's actually probably not encrypted. It will use mpeg2 transport stream (check Sky transmission spec) for SD, I'm not sure for HD. VLC will play it, as long as you can get the device to be mounted and read from. Generally this is achievable with a LiveCD of Linux. If you get a file and can't find a convertor PM me and I'll have a look at the data type of it.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Has anyone tried using one of these video converter cards (or similar) before ?
p3102_column_grid_5.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/video-2-go-conversion-for-mac-and-pc-506680

Sorry, only used analog-IP encoders and HD SDI encoders. It should work, you just have to leave it running in real time - which is a pain in the arse.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Sorry, only used analog-IP encoders and HD SDI encoders. It should work, you just have to leave it running in real time - which is a pain in the arse.
I've never heard of the things you mention. Do they connect between the back of the Sky box and the PC?

I've never heard of the things you mention. Do they connect between the back of the Sky box and the PC?

Haha, no, the former takes cameras and turns them in to a digital format, the latter is used to digitise the footage for use by Sky to format and send to you.

Has anyone tried using one of these video converter cards (or similar) before ?
Yes, I have something like that. I've used it for recording from a live camera and for transferring VHS to DVD. Assuming your Sky box has composite video and audio outputs it should be fine - but you will have to copy it in real time.

Top Bottom