Converting to Campy CT; any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DeBonc

Am thinking of converting my 9-speed Campy drivetrain to a 9-speed Campy CT (or... I could drop a few stone but who wants to do that, right?! :sad:). Current set-up is 100% Chorus but the CT would be a Record CT front mech, Mirage CT crank, Record 9-speed chain and keep the Chorus rear mech. Simple switch-out or am I missing something?
Thanks!

Will1985

Über Member
Sounds ok. Dropping a few teeth is probably not enough to warrant removing links from the chain. Well, maybe one. Is this UT or square taper?

OP
OP
D

DeBonc

Hmmmm... I don't know actually. Why, does it matter? Thanks! BTW, I ride a Bianchi as well ('07 928 RC)

Will1985

Über Member
The newer front mechs can definitely cope with CT or standard, but DeBonc is talking a whole 9s Chorus setup - that's ?5 years old. I thought there was a bit of difference between the cages back then, even if minimal.

On the other hand, will a new Record front mech shift as smoothly with a 9s Chorus left shifter? I forget which way QS works better when mixing.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The early nineties 105 front mech I was first using with QS worked just as well as the dedicated Centaur unit I replaced it with. The QS action is all in the shifter, the rest is just a marketing ploy.

Top Bottom